Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text Message From ATT after moving SIM Card from 5S

I purchased a contract free iPhone 6 Plus and used the SIM card from my contract-free iPhone 5S. I have AT&T. Everything seems to be working just fine but then I get this text message from AT&T:

"ATT Free Msg: Your new device requires a new SIM card to give you access to all services. Please visit your local AT store to get a new SIM. Thanks."

Has anyone else gotten a similar message? Does anyone know what services I would be missing access to? Both phones use a nano-SIM and are LTE based. Is the new SIM really necessary?

Thanks,

Rob

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 12:40 PM

45 replies

Sep 19, 2014 1:48 PM in response to rsaccone

I'll let you know. I intend to do the same thing albeit from an unlocked iPhone 5 to the "contract-free" iPhone 6 using an AT&T SIM. According to UPS, my new phone is still "out for delivery" (sigh).

I'm wondering if the text you received results from noting a different IMEI number, and that a new SIM wouldn't make any difference, but perhaps a quick call or visit to an AT&T store to update the IMEI they have on file will "address" this? Is visual voicemail working properly?

Sep 19, 2014 10:10 PM in response to applenascent

I'm disappointed to share that my experience hasn't been so smooth. Moving the AT&T SIM card from my iPhone 5 to the new iPhone 6 (A1428 -- contract free) did enable VOICE and TEXT operations, but no data. I have NOT received the text message the original poster described and others have also seen.

Before even powering up the iPhone 6, I moved my iPhone 5's AT&T SIM into the iPhone 6. I powered up the iPhone 6 and connected it via USB to my MacBook Pro and fired up iTunes. iTunes first raised a box stating something to the effect that there were new carrier settings and did I want to proceed. I selected yes and then was prompted to choose either a new phone or restore from backup. I chose the latter.

At first, all appeared to be okay with "AT&T" and five strength bars illuminated at top left, but for data is showed "4G". However, launching any data-app (e.g. Mail or Safari) resulted in: Could not activate cellular data network. You are not subscribed to a cellular data service.

I checked settings, toggled the Cellular->Cellular Data off and back on. Ensured Enable LTE was set. With or without LTE, I consistently was presented with the previously mentioned message about the inability to activate cellular data. If I enable WiFi, I'm able to use it, but no cellular data.

I contacted AT&T via land-line phone. Was handed off to advanced technical support. They tried various things on their end, including first, updating my IMEI. None of their efforts resulted in any change in behavior.

I shared with them that there appeared to be other folks who have succeeded doing this. This ushered in a discussion of a distinction between PREPAID and POSTPAID accounts. I have a PREPAID account. After all, I don't need to use a significantly more expensive POSTPAID as I'm not under any contract. The theory is that there may be an issue of their "back end" handling of PREPAID SIM cards. So, I currently have two avenues to pursue. The AT&T tech suggested I go into a store tomorrow and request a new PREPAID SIM and see if that fixes it. It might, but then it might not. AT&T has also opened a special "case file" for this issue which they intend to work, but I was told I probably won't hear back from that until next week.

Sep 20, 2014 10:29 AM in response to rsaccone

I stopped at the AT&T store this morning and showed them the text message. I told them that the phone works fine and they seemed confused. They thought is was for Apple Pay and that it needed a NFC SIM. (not sure about that one) but apparently it didn't need an NFC SIM, although I've never heard of that.

They set me up with someone to check to see if the SIM was valid/OK. They said they asked if I called the number that comes with the phone to activate it, I said no I just put them SIM in and turned it on. (I did not tell them I bought the contract free iPhone).

When the rep called the automated number to check the SIM, the system told him that it was having technical difficulties. The rep seemed to think that the text was actually late, the phone activated before AT&T sent the text. He told me not to worry about it since everything is working but if I had trouble to call him.

At this point everything is working, I'm going to wait and see if I have any issues. And I'll watch my bill to see if anything changes there.

Another interesting note, I went to do a late chat with AT&T and when the box came up to enter my Name it had already populated with my phone number and under device it listed iPhone 6.

Text Message From ATT after moving SIM Card from 5S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.