Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto library delete and use Lightroom

Dear all,

I've been searching for an answer to my specific issue but no luck yet.

I understand iPhoto and the duplicates it collects in the iPhoto 'file'. I read a few of T Devlin's posts!

However after some deliberation, I've decided to move to Lightroom instead of using iPhoto.

I don't mind manually sorting/collecting my photos in my own folders and not using iPhoto to help me manage them

Therefore, I've been wanting to delete that iPhoto duplicates 'file' but wondering if it is safe to do so without messing up my originals in their folders.

I intend to uncheck 'copy items in photo library...' option but wondering if that auto deletes the massive iPhoto file, or do I have to them go in and delete it manually?

Also, I want to reinstall my OSX onto an SSD and then use my 1TB as an extra drive. I'm guessing if I, at that point, re-check that option, it auto backs up the photos all over again?

Thanks for your advice

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 1:24 PM

12 replies

Sep 19, 2014 2:05 PM in response to domyue

If you're going to migrate over to Lightroom select the Events and use the File ➙ Export ➙ File Export menu option with the following settings: Kind = Original and Subfolder Format = Event Name.

User uploaded file

This will give you folders for each event populated with the original files. Once you've confirmed that you have all of the originals you want you can delete the iPhoto Library package. You will not get any of the metadata with the files except for the EXIF data.

User uploaded file

Sep 19, 2014 2:10 PM in response to Old Toad

So essentially, as long as I know I have the files I want (e.g. even those on my desktop and my home folder), I can delete the large iphoto 'file' ?

I also assume that it would be best to uncheck the 'copy items....' option before I delete it, just in case it starts to create another iphoto package?

Thanks

Sep 19, 2014 2:24 PM in response to domyue

1 - You do not understand how iPhoto works - it never duplicates photos (it does have different versions - no duplicates)

2 - you should not ever import any photo into iPhoto with the Copy imported items to iPhoto unchecked - it is a recipe for many future problems

3 - to move to any other program including LR simply select your photos and export them - see Exporting From iPhoto - for details

4 - after your photos are safely out of iPhoto trash the iPhoto library

5 - if you do not use iPhoto you will never create another library - and if yo do use it you do not want a referenced library - see iPhoto and File Management

6 - you should not use both iPhoto and LR - they do the same thing in different ways and can not work together in any way

LN

Sep 19, 2014 3:25 PM in response to domyue

Why - because you said you want to use LR not iPhoto - as I said

6 - you should not use both iPhoto and LR - they do the same thing in different ways and can not work together in any way

As to using a referenced library - you can do what ever you please - however as I said

2 - you should not ever import any photo into iPhoto with the Copy imported items to iPhoto unchecked - it is a recipe for many future problems

iPhoto is NOT a photo viewer - it is a Photo manager and so is LR - you must use one or the other - as I said

You need to pick the one you want and use it - you can not use both on the same photos - that seems pretty simple and clear to me

LN

Sep 19, 2014 3:38 PM in response to domyue

IF you're deleting the iPhoto Library and are no longer going to use the app then it makes not a whit of difference what you do in the iPhoto preferences.

What you're not explaining is whether or not you have copies of the images outside the library already. It's not clear from your posts. If you have delete away, won't make any difference to image not inside the Library package. If you don't, export first.

Sep 19, 2014 3:39 PM in response to LarryHN

Yes I know I shouldn't use both and I know I shouldn't have a reference library. But what I mean is, why can't I delete the iphoto files and thus remove traces of the imported images there, never to open iphoto again. Then use Lightroom with my original files. Basically I want the program to read/write my original files and not create/backup more files.

Main concern: if I delete the iphoto library file, does that mean iphoto will be empty? (erased its memory of imported images)? Does it mean that the original files will be untouched? Obviously if I stop using iPhoto, I don't want a huge iphoto library file in my pictures folder.

Sep 19, 2014 4:28 PM in response to Yer_Man

Should I uncheck that box first? Because if I don't, and if I open iPhoto by mistake next time, it might auto import and then re-create another iphoto library file?

btw, does Lightroom have this 'library file' as well? Although it reads it off a camera/source into a specified folder, it sounds like it imports photo files into a separate folder: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/lightroom/using/WS1FAB59DE-8867-4052-BA02-5CF6C163CD 29.html ?

Thanks again

Sep 19, 2014 11:49 PM in response to domyue

Should I uncheck that box first? Because if I don't, and if I open iPhoto by mistake next time, it might auto import and then re-create another iphoto library file?

If you want. If you do launch iPhoto it will create another library. Really, it's like asking should you put the handbrake on before sending the car to be crushed.

Best to ask on the Adobe forums, as while I'm familiar with Lightroom, I'm not that familiar. It too uses a library of some form - calls them catalogs, I believe.

iPhoto library delete and use Lightroom

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.