Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt Display 27inch suddenly blacks out

My brand new (just uncrated it last evening) Thunderbolt Display 27inch suddenly blacks out when I am webrowsing or when the system is just idle. I have it plugged into the TB port on my MacMini 2.6GHz i7 (the current model) with IntelHD graphics 4000 and loads of RAM (16GB). Sometimes it gives a brief flash of stripey gobbledygook then black or sometimes just straight to black. Each time requires me to unplug the TB cable and reconnect to reboot the display. The CPU is clearly unaffected b/c when the display reboots the desktop/app windows are as I left them and completely functional. I note that the Mini runs significantly warmer than when I had my previous 24inch LED Cinema Display (which never had a problem) – perhaps the video card is now too hot with all the extra pixels?

I note now that there is an extensive history of troubles with the TB 27inch display not reawakening after sleep – I noticed that problem also but I seem to have fixed it by disabling the screensaver.

The display is gorgeous when it is working properly – I'd really hate to have to return it. None of these antics ought to be occurring with all current hardware. Is there a solution?

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 2.6GHz quad-i7 16GB RAM

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 4:37 PM

5 replies

Sep 20, 2014 11:33 PM in response to jschmo

I'm having a similar problem with mine at the moment (it's 18 months old) and the display doesn't re-awaken from sleep some times. The only way I can then get it back is to disconnect the power form the display, shut down my MBP leave them both off for about 10 minutes, then connect it all back up and reset the PRAM when the MBP is powered on.

It's become more and more regular, to the point that it now 'powers' down half way through the day.

Last time I carted it to a Apple repair center (which is 2 hours drive away), they couldn't find a fault with it, so it might be my MBP, which is equally worrying because I need my MBP for work.

Like you, I love this display, I love the high resolution, I love the fact that it doubles as a docking station for my MBP, but this blacking out business (and awkwardness to get it back) is really ******* me off, to the point that I'm beginning to not use the display any more.

My advice is take it back and swap it immediately, before it becomes hassle. If the replacement does the same thing, then get the Mac Mini replaced, if after all that you still have the same issue, then get a cheaper third party display that connects via a traditional connector (not Thunderbolt).

Sep 21, 2014 7:25 AM in response to sam_ohanaware

I tried the PRAM reset yesterday but the problem persists – clearly the disable screensaver idea was just faint hope. It is disconcerting to know that the problem may just get worse. It is such a beautiful display that I might put up with one daily glitch but more than that? . . . nope. To think that I dropped a $1000 on a freaking display to endure these faults makes me question the sanity of the purchase. (my 51inch plasma TV cost way less than that!)

I understand that it may be a fault inherent to the TB protocol . . . is that true?

Sep 22, 2014 8:49 AM in response to jschmo

I did every things that recommended by Apple on line advisor ..but the problems still occur ..today more than dozen times connect and reconnect my thunderbolt cable....OMG...

the last suggestions from Asian Support centre in KL..must visit Apple Service Centre ..to check my Thunderbolt display ( just bought 3 weeks ago )..

please help,,,

many thx

Sep 22, 2014 11:22 AM in response to drharrybali

I called Apple Customer Service and they said to send the display in for exchange. I took it to the local Apple Store and swapped it for another. So far, it seems to perform perfectly – a single tap of the track pad or keyboard to awaken and no blackouts yet. It appears that there may have been a bad batch of TB cables that got installed out there.

Thunderbolt Display 27inch suddenly blacks out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.