Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

disable swipe delete ios8

How to I totally disable left swipe to delete? It's crap. Instead of bringing up the flag it just deletes my email. What a Terrible addition. I even have the ask to delete function and it deletes it anyways. Utter failure.

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 6:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2014 11:40 AM

This is a MAJOR bug in the design. Jobs would have fired the person that invented this and he would have been justified in doing so.

11 replies

Aug 31, 2018 1:05 AM in response to shotiie

Got the same problem with this new feature.

Would be nice to be able to disable that slide-delete function.

Have already accidentally thrown away a lot of mails cause of it.

Dec 17, 2014 5:03 PM in response to shotiie

Here is a solution..... e-mails are getting deleted because when you swipe all the way to the left, it's set up by default to delete. You can change this to archive. So when you swipe all the way to the left, your e-mail will be archived instead of deleted. Than change swipe right to mark as read. Now the delete option is completely off the table,

settings: mail

select account (ie hotmail)

select e-mail address with arrow on the end

advanced settings with arrow on the end

switch move discarded messages from deleted mailbox to archive mailbox

back to settings

mail, contacts, calendars

swipe options

swipe left: Flag

swipe right: mark as read

if you still want delete you can change swipe right to archive (which will make swipe right now function as delete by itself)

Feb 24, 2015 4:08 AM in response to rocko262c

That happens in your pocket? Sounds like you need to get the phone looked at. As others have pointed out, the "instant delete" happens when you swipe all the way to the left. It requires the mother of all swipes to actually do it. If you just "pull" the message with your finger to roughly the middle of the screen you get the options. Make sure that you start over to the right with your finger/thumb. Very hard to accidently do the full swipe from that position, and very hard to see how it could be happening in a pocket!

Feb 24, 2015 2:18 PM in response to AKRBTN

Dear Akrbtn,

Thanks for your reply and I will get my phone examined. This seems a bit strange that my perfectly working phone needs to be examined, but nevertheless I will get it checked out.

On my phone, it just takes a small quick rapid swipe to delete the messages. I really wish it was the case of "mother of all swipes", but unfortnately a swift hard swipe will delete them.

My outlook for work is linked to my phone so that is how I really started finding out messages were somehow being deleted.

Can anyone else delete a message with a short rapid swipe? Is everyone else in the situation where it really takes the "mother of all swipes"?

Thank you all for your kind help.

Cheers,
Rocko

disable swipe delete ios8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.