Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8 - AirPlay icon missing from videos

IIs was wondering if someone could help me out. Prior to iOS 8 whenever I watched a video (whether through Safari or Movies) i could bounce the video onto my Apple TV right from the video's UI with the AirPlay icon down in the right corner next to the volume bar. With iOS 8 the icon has disappear and now the only way for me to do this is to turN on AirPlay through the Control Center. Has the previous method been removed or is if done a different way now? I know it's a little thing, just something I was so use to doing.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 7:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 7:07 AM

I have the same issue. As temporary fix I open up the YouTube App and start a video/connect the AirPlay then multitask over to safari and play the video I originally want to watch.

14 replies

Sep 26, 2014 10:50 AM in response to M561

I'm having the same issue.

When a video is playing on iPhone, the airplay icon doesn't show anymore. However, I can still access AppleTV using the control center.

I noticed the missing icon on my iPhone 5 after I upgraded to iOS 8 and upgraded AppleTV to the latest version.

Also, the same behavior on my iPhone 6.

iOS 8.0.2 didn't fix it either.

Oct 21, 2014 8:33 PM in response to KevinC

I just assumed in iOS 8 they removed the AirPlay icon from the Videos app, because it doesn't show up on my wife's 5S or my 6 Plus ( both on 8.1). You have it on your 5S Kevin? Just to clarify, I can access AirPlay from control center but the AirPlay icon that showed up in the bottom bar when watching a video is gone. It was there in the videos app in iOS 7. Can anyone else confirm if this is the way iOS 8 is designed, or am I just getting the same weird glitch on two devices?

Thanks.

Oct 22, 2014 5:29 AM in response to M561

Hi M561 and everyone else still suffering from this issue,

I had the same issue until just now! And man, did I try everything (or so I thought I did). I reinstalled iOS8 and used my iCloud backup, did the same but with an iTunes backup, hoped the updates would fix it, and some other tweaking of settings but all to no avail. Finally, what I did was do a reset with the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button, as described here: Turn your iOS device off and on (restart) and reset.

Just take the warning in mind in the article:

You should reset your device as a last resort

Hope this helps you guys as well as it helped me.

Oct 22, 2014 11:42 AM in response to KevinC

Thanks Kevin. I chatted online with Apple support and they were ignorant of the issue. They only suggested resetting network settings, resetting all settings, or as a last resort restoring and setting up as new. The suggestion below from MacBelly-jr to reset with home and sleep/wake hasn't worked so far, but I'll try it again.

I'll post if I find something that works.

Oct 22, 2014 3:02 PM in response to mrsnork

Just to update, I used another iPhone (an iPhone 5) put it in DFU, restored it in iTunes and set up as a new phone. Fresh iOS 8.1 install. Still no AirPlay icon in videos app, only on control panel. I've got 3 devices on 8.1 and not one of them has this feature functioning as it is (supposedly) designed to work! Please let me know if anybody finds a solution.

Oct 23, 2014 12:53 PM in response to M561

I spoke to an Apple rep this afternoon who confirmed that in iOS 8.x the AirPlay icon was intentionally removed from the stock apps including the videos.app and when playing videos from Safari. AirPlay/streaming is now supposed to be toggled from the Control Center. He said he had four devices on iOS 8 with the same behavior, and when he asked about it he was told it was by design. He had no explanation for why some people are still seeing it if they're on iOS 8. Pure speculation on my part, but perhaps it's corruption from a restored backup previously used in iOS 7 or earlier. He said he would put in a ticket about it, and perhaps it would be something they'd consider changing in future updates, e.g. the camera roll being restored to photos in 8.1. He said he would contact me with any updates.

Incidentally, some 3rd party apps still have an AirPlay icon during playback, like Watch Disney Channel, for example.

iOS 8 - AirPlay icon missing from videos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.