Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail contacts not syncing iPhone 6

Has anybody had this problem?

I setup my iPhone 6 as new. Setup Gmail and checked Mail, Contacts, and Calendars to sync. I had to take off Google's 2-step verification just to login successfully. My emails have downloaded but neither my contacts or calendars are showing up in the Calendar or Contacts app. I've deleted Gmail and signed in again, reset iPhone, and even unchecked my iCloud contacts and calendars (so that they are not showing up) but there are still no Gmail contacts being synced.

Any suggestions? Do I have to change other settings on Google's side?

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 7:34 PM

23 replies

Jan 17, 2017 2:31 PM in response to variablex9

In case someone is still trying to find answers for this contacts syncing issue, I found the following to work for a specific problem I had.

I'm using two iphones, 6 for work and 7 for personal use. I have however used my gmail account to sync personal contacts between the two phones. My problem was, I could add/update/edit contact details on one phone but it wouldn't appear as changed on the other phone.

Solution was in fact pretty obvious. Apple does not allow "Push" for gmails now, only "Fetch". Fetch has two settings (found inside settings - mail), every 15 minutes or manual. The solution therefore was to either 1) wait 15 minutes until gmail refreshes - thereby fetching mails - which effectively update the contacts too, or, 2) temporarily change fetch settings to manual and check emails manually - remember to revert fetch settings to 15 minutes afterwards. Both these methods worked for me.

I'm sorry if I have answered a different question, but I did not experience any of the problems mentioned by the other users, only the above minor irritation..

Jan 18, 2017 1:57 PM in response to KKR_HW

I spent two hours today with a senior level tech from Apple. When I add a contact on my iphone, the contact appears in my gmail contacts, but not on the phone. When I enter a new contact on my PC, the new contact will not appear on my phone as well. After restoring, redoing everything, Apple has said it appears to be a server issue with Google. I have posted on Google's (Gmail) message board regarding this. Who knows when I will get an answer. If I use Icloud, the contacts added on my phone do not get added to my gmail contacts. As you can imagine, this has become a very frustrating situation. Weird thing is, my wife's phone does not have any issues with sync at all.

Oct 4, 2014 8:14 AM in response to Barcafan2010

I too am experience the same problem. It seems that google is no longer supporting that type of service for contacts, calendar and notes free of charge. Instead, users who wish to sync that information from phone to computer or vice versa must now have a paid Google account. With paid Google account you will be able to set up and ActiveSync through Exchange. You still won't get your notes when you use Exchange but you will be able to get everything else.

To set up the Exchange you do the following:

1. Launch the Settings app
  2. Tap Mail, Contacts, Calendars
  3. Tap Add Account
  4. Tap Microsoft Exchange
  5. For Email, enter your full Gmail or Google Account email address
  6. Leave the Domain field blank
  7. Again, enter your Gmail or Google Account email address as the username
  8. Enter your Gmail/Google password on the password line
  9. Tap Next
  10. When the Server field appears, enter m.google.com
  11. Tap Next
  12. Finally, select what you want to sync (Mail, Calendar, and Contacts)

If you decided that you don't want to set-up a paid account in order to use this service then you can always download the gmail app.

Oct 4, 2014 9:33 AM in response to IndiraKristian

I'm not sure about needing to pay. My Gmail contacts and calendar are now syncing just as before without needing the CardDav workaround I mentioned earlier. I don't know what fixed it because it was syncing all of a sudden one day. If it is not working I would suggest setting up a CardDav account to sync the contacts. That should start syncing. Then delete the regular Gmail account (or just uncheck calendars and contacts). Restart the Contacts and Calendar apps or better yet restart your iPhone entirely. Then go to the Gmail settings again and re-check calendars and contacts. See if that will sync your contacts by looking in the Contacts app. At this point you should have two account syncing your contacts: the CardDav account and the Gmail account. Delete the CardDav account and you should still have your Gmail contacts syncing.

Oct 4, 2014 9:52 AM in response to Barcafan2010

Google changed their policy a couple of years ago. Only premium accounts use Exchange-style syncing (Email, contacts, calendar, etc.). Though they grandfathered in existing devices, new devices must - as Barcafan2010 said - sync Calendars using CalDAV, and Contacts using CardDAV.

CalDAV: https://support.google.com/calendar/answer/151674

CardDAV: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/2753077

Dec 6, 2014 12:51 PM in response to Alfred DeRose

This makes perfect sense; I had mail setup via the typical "GMAIL" setup in iOS and contacts and calendar setup through "EXCHANGE." Look like I just need to disable that "EXCHANGE" account on my iPhone and enable 'Contacts' and 'Calendar' on the "GMAIL" account.

Any good tips on identifying those contacts that I've added after upgrading to the new iPhone that exist on the phone (under that EXCHANGE account) and not in gmail? I have a feeling when I switch to CardDAV, those new entries are going to vanish since they are not currently found within Gmail Contacts.

Dec 11, 2014 9:33 AM in response to Barcafan2010

I had this same problem: I set up my Google account and left it overnight but no contacts would import. Frustrating!

Know what fixed it? Rebooting the phone. Just hold down the power button until the phone asks if it should turn off. Slide to say yes. When you turn it back on, hopefully all your contacts will be there. So weird.

Plus ca change.

Jan 10, 2015 7:40 AM in response to Barcafan2010

Hi Everybody,

I had the same problem with IPhone 6. I think I found answer. Go to your Google account and in the contacts make sure The contacts name belonge to the group my contacts. This what was my problem. I have few groups created and if they was not in My contacts only in the others group, did not sync to the phone. It help me, maybe will help you too, check. And you do not need any special programs or apps.

Gmail contacts not syncing iPhone 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.