Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I transfer/import just my contacts from iPhone 5 to 6?

I just set up my iPhone 6 using iTunes restore from backup (iPhone 5). Everything worked fine except my contacts aren't accurate. It seems only some show up. Is there a way to import just the contacts, so I don't have to do a full restore again?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 2.7GHz Intel Core i5

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 9:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 9:36 PM

Are the contact in iCloud, Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, Mac Mail or just on your phone. So many possibilities come to mind.

22 replies

Sep 19, 2014 9:36 PM in response to Jean Na

Are your contacts on iCloud, and are you syncing them to your devices via that mechanism? If so, then Delete the iCloud account from your device - scroll to the bottom of the screen and click on Delete Account. Type in your Apple ID and Password when asked, then follow the prompts to delete the account. Then sign back onto the account. The Contacts should all download from iCloud.

Cheers,

GB

Sep 19, 2014 9:47 PM in response to Jean Na

Well, you can see if they are in iCloud by going to iCloud.com on a computer and taking a look at your Contacts there. If they are all there, then doing the Delete and signing in again will do the trick. (Deleting sounds more ominous than it actually is. Deleting the iCloud account from your device is the iCloud version of signing out).

One other thing you might want to check first:

Open Contacts on your device, and see if you see "Accounts" in the top left-hand corner. If you do, click on that and make sure that iCloud is selected. If you see Groups, make sure that "All Contacts" is selected.

Cheers,

GB

Sep 19, 2014 10:20 PM in response to gail from maine

thanks so much for helping Gail!

So, I checked on iCloud.com, and it only some of my contacts appear on the list. How do I transfer the full list from my old iPhone into the iCloud? Once the full list is there, I assume I'll be able to sync that to my new phone?

**EDIT** I just realized by going into "Groups" in Contacts, that the names not showing up are, for some reason, grouped under my Exchange Email account, which was linked to my Gmail. I understand that Google no longer supports this, so I've abandoned the Exchange account on my iPhone 6. Is there a way to export or transfer those to my iCloud?

Sep 19, 2014 10:24 PM in response to Jean Na

Assuming you are running iOS7 on old phone,

On old phone: Setting > iCloud > Contacts on (green). Make sure you are logged into iCloud under account

Give it a few minutes

On new phone: Setting > iCloud > Account (same account as old phone) then Contacts on (green)

Give it a few minutes and contacts should sync. This could cause you to get some duplicate contacts and if so, you'll need to delete them from iCloud else the just keep coming back.

Sep 19, 2014 10:27 PM in response to Jean Na

Yes, you can merge the contacts from your iPhone 5 to your iCloud contacts as follows:

1. Go to Settings>iCloud and if "Contacts" is turned to ON, switch it off. Click on "Keep on My iPhone" when prompted.

2. Turn Contacts back on (or turn it on if it is not already on), and click on "Merge" when the message pops up. That should push all of the contacts on your iPhone 5 up to iCloud.

3. Go back to iCloud.com and make sure that the contacts you want to be there are there.

4. Once you are satisfied that the iCloud contacts are good to go, go to Settings>iCloud on your new device and turn Contacts on if they are not already on. If they are on already, turn them off, click on "Keep on My iPhone", then turn them back on again and click on "Merge". You should now see the same contacts on both of your iPhones and on iCloud.com

Cheers,

GB

Sep 19, 2014 10:58 PM in response to gail from maine

I followed your exact directions, and it didn't work 😟 I think the problem might be, that when iCloud "Contacts" are turned off, then on, and merged, it's only merging those currently grouped to iCloud, but not to Exchange. So, my next logical guess would be to try the same steps to the Exchange "Contacts", and see if I could merge those into the iCloud group.... but when I try to switch it off, it says "Are you sure you want to continue? All Exchange contacts will be removed from your iPhone". Any ideas?

Sep 19, 2014 11:32 PM in response to Jean Na

You would need use an app to move them. The App Store has several. Here is one that is out there:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/contact-mover/id456984826?mt=8

Go to the iTunes Store (it's easier on a computer), and select Apps, then do a search for "contact mover". You will see various apps designed to move contact from Exchange to iCloud.

Once you find the app you want to use, go to the App Store on your iPhone 5, and download it from there. Then you can get all of the contacts on your iPhone 5 into iCloud by following the same instructions I posted previously.

Best of luck!

Cheers,

GB

Can I transfer/import just my contacts from iPhone 5 to 6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.