Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 dropping WiFi constantly

Got my iPhone 6 today and it keeps dropping my WiFi signal in my house and I cannot reconnect. When toggling WiFi off and back on it doesn't even pick any network in range, and there are usually 4-6 available. I have to power off the phone and power back on for it to pick up the WiFi signal again.

Very annoying. I hope this is a bug with iOS 8 that can be fixed ASAP and that it's not a hardware issue.

Anyone else having this problem?

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 10:02 PM

103 replies

Apr 11, 2017 5:34 AM in response to slpierce31

There are a few issues that you all need to fix for reliable WiFi on Apple iOS products:

- Make sure your wireless router has both 5GHz (802.11a/n/ac) and 2.4GHz (802.11b/g/n). If it is a b/g or b/g/n only router, go get a new one.

- Make sure both Apple device and Wireless Router are both patched with up-to-date firmware

- MAKE SURE YOUR 2.4 and 5GHZ SSIDs ARE DIFFERENT!!!!! IF NOT, YOU WILL HOP BANDS AND LOSE WiFi Sporadically! Most people just add 5G to the 5GHz SSID, i.e. BobsWiFi for 2.4GHz and BobsWiFi-5G

- Make sure your WiFi router is set to WP2/Personal with AES. Do not use WEP or WPA with TKIP.

- Ensure that both AES and TKIP are not allowed at the same time, this confuses Apple iOS devices. Only AES should be allowed

- Connect to the 5GHz only SSID when possible. 2.4GHz travels further through obstructions, i.e. walls, than 5GHz, but has many interferers such as PlayStation, Xbox, and Roku remotes, Bluetooth devices and Microwave ovens. There is also many less channel options for your router to choose from, 3 channels, so you will always have tons of interference from neighbors in metro areas.

- Connect as many of your home devices to 5GHz only as possible. This will ensure that the devices that must use the 2.4GHz (b/g/n) frequency work best.

- If you can tolerate it, need less that 130Mbps WiFi or internet package is less than 130Mbps anyway, use a 20Mhz channel on 5GHz. The wider the channel, the less options your wireless router has to find a channel without interference. That being said, if you live in rural areas with acres of land between you and neighbors, this likely doesn't apply to you. You wouldn't have to worry too much about interference from your neighbors, so set your WiFi router to auto 20/40/80 for 802.11ac or auto 20/40Mhz for 802.11a/n and enjoy.

I am a network engineer, and as such know what basically every wireless supporting network engineer does when it comes to Apple products; They are some of the most well put together devices on the planet, are very stable and user friendly, but are much more finicky when it comes to WiFi performance. You should have fairly stable WiFi as long as you follow those steps outlines above. As with everything, you get what you pay for with WiFi routers. If you buy a new $800 iPhone and a less than $50 wireless router, you may have a lot of pain with home wireless. I have had a lot of luck with replacing lower end b/g and b/g/n routers with several brands of 802.11ac routers and yet to be burned. $80-$110 is typically the sweet spot these days for getting a quality product. I would say Netgear, Linksys, and Asus all have great products in this range. You can also look at Apple for wireless, but I don't recommend if you don't have an Apple device centric household.

Aug 21, 2017 9:46 PM in response to cycler15

Does any one believe that your carrier, such as att., Verizon, Comcast etc Interfers with the usage and connectivity of your wifi of your data usage?complain to the carrier of specific occurrences concerning your phone particularly if it invokes money, and watch how quickly your complaint following an answer can turn into an accusation by you, and how intteresring it is that your continuous usage becomes easier and cheaper. They are all crooks. No paranoia, Ive shown it to be true several times in the course of having a cell phone in the past 20 years. Cheats and thiefs. Without a doubt.

Sep 20, 2014 8:28 AM in response to cycler15

WiFi issues here as well... Standing right beside the AP and only have 1 wifi bar.

We have 2 iPhone 6's in the house - side-by-side - one has full bars throughout the house, the other will only stay connected in the room with the AP.

I think there is a bad batch of phones that didn't get the antennae plugged in correctly??

What's the likelihood of ATT/Apple stores having enough stock for replacements?

Sep 22, 2014 10:23 PM in response to cycler15

Having the same issue. iPhone 6 will suddenly drop wifi and then can't locate any. Powering off and/or reset of network settings seems to do the trick but I don't want to go through that on a daily basis. Hoping this is a software issue. I have an iPad mini running 8 and it's fine. Also have my iphone4 and its fine as well. Only this iPhone6 loses wifi.

Sep 22, 2014 10:57 PM in response to Alove357

I Had same problem. I had upgraded from a 5 using the restore from backup in iTunes but wifi would drop & no networks visible unless I rebooted. I then wiped the 6 and didnt restore via iTunes's& wifi is fine, so I think the iTunes backup caused the problem. I then did a minimal restore from an iCloud backup to get text messages back & phone is ok now.

Sep 23, 2014 12:54 AM in response to cycler15

WE have 3 iPhone 6 64gb slate grey and mine is the only was being kick of wi fi constantly worse part is I was busy listening to music app last tonite and most time probably I was kick off which is just great one of the fastest way to burn up ur costly data threw verizon 😟 this is very serious and can be costly this is a serious is that can cost people more money 😟

iPhone 6 dropping WiFi constantly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.