Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Familiy sharing should not require approving free content

I am the perfect example of a user with familiy sharing and it is driving me completely nuts.

I have 6 kids each with their own ipad. they are 4, 5, 5, 6, 15, 16 years od age. We must be the absolute core target group for family sharing and I have been looking forward to it since I could control purchases in a controlled manner (finally). So now, a couple of days later I am going nuts. I cannot believe there is no settings to allow download of free content without asking the parent. The kids are downloading the same games and apps and easily 10 each day...each. So I have to approve more than 40 purchases and be involved in EVERYTHING they do constantly.

it renders family sharing completely useless and the whole purpose of doing this defeats itself. APPLE PLEASE ADD a "allow free downloads" in each family member settings on this briliant function. Or we have to go back to accounts the normal way with endless logging in and out with different accounts on each device. Even 4 year olds can use an ipad like an expert and type in 8 digit aplle IDs they have memorized without any challenge - they can do it themselves and I dont want to be the center of eveything they download....only things that are not free.

as a side note I think I will buy even more apps for my kids now that the familiy sharing is available because it is much easier to do......but please add this setting. i am going completely nuts after 2 days...

Posted on Sep 20, 2014 12:02 AM

10 replies

Sep 20, 2014 12:25 AM in response to Nick Etlar Eriksen

I understand what you are saying, but I would suggest that the approval for downloading of free apps gives you MORE control over content that your children download instead of less. Ask to buy is on by default for under 13. I believe you could turn ask to buy off, but then the kids could download whatever they wanted including things that could be charged to your credit card.

I'm just making an observation. I agree that it would be maddening to be receiving notifications from 5 kids downloading 30 apps each.

Good Luck.

Sep 20, 2014 12:27 AM in response to Nick Etlar Eriksen

Apple isn't here. Apple doesn't participate here. Starting a poll/petition/survey will get this post removed as it is a direct violation of the Terms of Use you just agreed to follow when you opened your account.

Family Sharing isn't just about you approving your kids spending your money, it is about you approving the content that they download, paid or free. If you trust your older children with the content choices that they make for themselves, perhaps the better plan is you funding their own iTunes/Mac App Store account with a monthly allowance.

Set up and manage iTunes Allowance

Sep 20, 2014 12:28 AM in response to Nick Etlar Eriksen

Apple does not read the contents of these forums. This is a user to user forum, and the only involvement that Apple has with them is as moderators to ensure that the TOU is followed, and to ensure that the site is running and effectively providing an avenue for communication between users.

And you are aware that, just because an app is free it doesn't mean that the app is suitable for children or that it doesn't contain explicit content. Do a quick search in Apps for Playboy - there are at least a dozen "free" apps under this search alone....

Cheers,

GB

Sep 23, 2014 3:43 AM in response to Nick Etlar Eriksen

I agree completely with regard to the free purchases.

Another thought. In your case, with six children, the oldest child asks to purchase a family movie. When that request comes through, I would really like the option to purchase through the child's account or my own account. I realise that this can be done by denying the purchase and doing it separately, but it would be really cool if this was a one stop process.

How does iTunes Allowance work with Family Sharing?

Sep 23, 2014 3:43 AM in response to gail from maine

And you are aware that, just because an app is free it doesn't mean that the app is suitable for children or that it doesn't contain explicit content. Do a quick search in Apps for Playboy - there are at least a dozen "free" apps under this search alone....

This is easily done by only allowing free purchases with ratings applicable to the child's age without permission.

Sep 23, 2014 7:50 AM in response to Apple Iceman

That is correct. But that would mean that the parent would need to know about Restrictions and how to set them on each device - a totally separate process....

I'm not saying that it cannot all be accomplished if one educates oneself about how things work. One thing the last few days have made resoundingly clear - people use these devices without fully understanding how to make them work the best way for your needs. And then, they want to blame anyone but themselves for not taking the time to do the research....

So, point taken, and it's a good point! Let's hope other readers of this thread see your comment and act on it! 🙂

Cheers,

GB

Sep 23, 2014 9:13 AM in response to gail from maine

gail from maine wrote:

That is correct. But that would mean that the parent would need to know about Restrictions and how to set them on each device - a totally separate process...

Not at all. Just suggesting that the original post asked about Family Sharing not requiring approval for free apps.

I agree, if those free apps fall within the age appropriate level based on the child's birthdate as set up in the iCloud account. Apps that aren't age appropriate would still require approval. This could apply to installation of apps that another family member might have purchased too.

Familiy sharing should not require approving free content

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.