Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS8 this photo is not editable - ?

Updated to IOS8 . Resynced all photos from Iphoto on Mac. When I try to edit a photo, I get a message saying

This photo is not editable

Do you want to duplicate it and edit a copy?

Duplicate and Edit

Why would I want to fill my iPad with Duplicate photos? - selecting the above option does indeed create an editable duplicate of the photo, which is a little pointless surely. FWIW iPhoto for IOS had none of the issues I'm finding with the IOS8 Photos app - really disappointing.

Anyone discovered a reason for this issue?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 20, 2014 5:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2017 10:11 AM

I started having this problem after turning off synchronization via iCloud. I turned that off because my complimentay iCloud storage filled almost immediately, and I started getting messages from Apple to the effect of gimme money, gimme money, gimme money. I have used Dropbox for cloud storage for years, and have been quite happy with it. I’m disinclined to change to iCloud. Apple’s persistent, underhanded exploitation of their advantage of owning the operating system just makes me more disinclined. I now can’t imagine finding a way to trust them on this. For me, this is exceptional. For most purposes I’m a big Apple fan and devoted customer. But this entanglement of Photos and iCloud is really turning me of.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2017 10:11 AM in response to JPRB_Mac_User

I started having this problem after turning off synchronization via iCloud. I turned that off because my complimentay iCloud storage filled almost immediately, and I started getting messages from Apple to the effect of gimme money, gimme money, gimme money. I have used Dropbox for cloud storage for years, and have been quite happy with it. I’m disinclined to change to iCloud. Apple’s persistent, underhanded exploitation of their advantage of owning the operating system just makes me more disinclined. I now can’t imagine finding a way to trust them on this. For me, this is exceptional. For most purposes I’m a big Apple fan and devoted customer. But this entanglement of Photos and iCloud is really turning me of.

Feb 14, 2015 5:58 AM in response to JPRB_Mac_User

It's a real pain! My Photos app was so full of duplicated, even triplicated photos that I decided to make a clean sheet of it, so I delelted everything, using the Image Capture program on my iMac (he only Apple.way I could find of delelting all the photos on my iPad at one go), then I synced my iMac and iPad, thereby transferring the photos from iPhoto on the Mac to the iPad. Worked fine, except that now it is quite impossible to edit any of the photos, and that includes those in albums.

I do not use iCloud; I do not use Photo Sharing: everything to do with these is off on both devices.

Jul 1, 2016 6:54 AM in response to JPRB_Mac_User

I have the same problem and read over 10 threads and finally found a cure. Hope to reply similar threads so that we don't suffer again.

My situation: I have transferred some "albums" from my computer to the iphone and then I can never delete those photos on Iphone or ITunes.

Solution:

1. Go to ITunes and Click the little phone icon just underneath the menu bar and next to "Music". (NOT the menu on the left where it says "Devices")

2. On the left, you should find "Settings" -> "Photos'. Then you should "Sync Photos" on the right, and see "Copy photos from: [folder you can select]

3. For the folder you can select, select an empty folder (no photos inside). Any empty folder would do

4. Click "Sync" at the bottom right.

5. After the sync is done, check your photos in the iphone. The albums you have added from computer should be gone by now.

Why am I posting the same answer in different threads:

I'm frustrated that the answers on these thread do not work and I hope the next person can avoid running around the website to solve this problem.

Cheers,

AHL

Read more below:

If you've plugged your iPhone or iPad into your computer in order to transfer existing photos via iTunes, these are the albums that you can not delete. If you want to delete them, or specific photos within them, you'll need to go through iTunes again. For example, if you want to delete select photos from an album, you'll need to delete them from the album on your computer and then apply sync changes in iTunes. If you want to remove an entire album, just uncheck it in iTunes and sync again.

http://www.imore.com/cant-delete-photo-albums-your-iphone-or-ipad-heres-why

IOS8 this photo is not editable - ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.