Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hotmail on iOS 8 error

Hello

I'm struggling to use Hotmail on iOS8. When I restored my phone it would not accept the correct password.

I have deleted it and tried adding it again.

I've tried exchange, outlook and adding it manually. I keep getting 'Unable to verify account information".

I am using 2 step authentication but it would normally prompt for this key after.

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 20, 2014 5:03 AM

18 replies

Nov 3, 2014 10:53 AM in response to s31teg

After reading this thread, I just set up a new email under "outlook". I remembered that I had two step verification set up. So here are the steps I used and I got it up and running in about 2 minutes.

login to account.live.com

click 'change password & more'

go to 'identity verification apps'

Choose the iPhone button

use the Google authentication app to provide you a code as directed.

enter the authentication code then you will be provided a super long 16 digit (I think) app password. You will only have to enter this one time when asked for your outlook password when you setup your hotmail account on your iPhone.

That's it. Again, just about 2 minutes invested after spending 35 minutes at the Apple Store.

I Suppose you could just turn off two step verification 🙂

Note to Apple: Using this forum on an iPad was VERY difficult.

Nov 25, 2014 12:36 PM in response to anthonyfromdunlap

Its been about three weeks now without Hotmail being delivered faithfully to my ipad and Iphone. Earlier discussions said to reset the number of trusted devices in your live account which is no longer necessary. Now this thread says to set it up under exchange using m.hotmail.com as the server and somehow use the app verification program from google. ....No idea what your are talking about. I have followed these instructions as best as I can but it doesn't follow the setup on the ipad. What do you type as the username? I have tried the Hotmail email address it doesn't work. I have tried plugging the password generated by the google app authenticator into the password (for the exchange setup). It does not. Your instructions do not match what we are looking at. Could someone provide a step by step procedure for making Hotmail work on the ipad and iphone. It has not been working since I had to reset the passwork (on a computer) after IOS 8 was installed. It does not work on my iphone which I have not downgraded to IOS 8 yet. (nor will I considering how badly my ipad runs now). HELP>>>>>VERY FRUSTRATED !!!

Nov 25, 2014 12:47 PM in response to the_yellow_beard

ok folks...finally pieced together something from what was said. you don't need to use exchange. You can just use outlook.com in the mail setup on you iphone or Ipad. You have to go into Live.accounts etc..under Security and Password, choose app password. It will give you a long string of letters to use. This is what you use instead of your Hotmail or live.accounts password....then it magially all works.

Would have been nice if Microsoft had let its users know but I suspect they don't want our hotamil accounts to work well on apple products.

Not impressed by the amount of time I had to waste on this subject. Thanks to all who contributed.

Jun 21, 2015 5:54 PM in response to the_yellow_beard

Hi- If you have a second, I would really appreciate your help.

When I go to account.live.com, under "Security & Privacy" I only see the "change password" option. I was not able to find the "choose app password" option. Please help me to find this! I would truly appreciate a step-by-step approach to this, as I cannot get hotmail working on my iPhone 6!

Thank you for your help!

E

Hotmail on iOS 8 error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.