Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suddenly my iPhone 5S cannot backup to iCloud

My last backup to icloud according to my phone was on Sept 16th. I have performed several "RESTORES" on my phone because I tried IOS 8 which was buggy so I went back to IOS 7.1.2 while it was still available.

Now, I tried to go into the icloud>Storage and Backup and set the backup button and phone just crashed.

So I went into iTunes and selected iCloud and iTunes says that this phone has never been backed up to iCloud which is funny because I have backed it up for over a year. BUT at least it was able to switch the toggle on the phone to iCloud backup.

Now, when I try to perform an icloud backup, I get the message "The last backup could not be completed". I have the 20 GB storage plan so I do not understand.

Now, I have an iPad Air that i put on IOS8 and it backs up just fine and dandy.

The only other thing i did was follow the instructions for deleting old backup from iTunes. I only deleted devices that no longer exist and a few very old iTune backups. I followed the instructions to the letter and I deleted old backups for my iPad Air as well.

iCloud on the web lists both of my devices and the date last backed up on each.... soooo I am baffled and please do not suggest that troubleshooting guide because it doesn't address this issue. I am thinking that it is because my iPhone is on 7.1.2 and my iPad is on 8.0. Could this be true?

Any tricks to get this working please? Thank you!

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Sep 20, 2014 6:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2014 10:59 PM

OK, No help from Apple but I finally figured out how to answer my own question now. lol

Basically, since I had iCloud backups of both my previous IOS Firmware version 7.1.2 AND version 8.0, it appears this confuses iCloud if you go backward to your previous version IOS firmware (which is only capable during a short period of time between launches). This process apparently causes iCloud to go braindead and forget HOW to backup your phones data (even though iTunes can backup to your computer just fine, sort of but that's a different story. ANYWAY, if you also are having iCloud backup issues like I had, solution follows:

Solution: Delete all your old iCloud backups for the device, in this case, my iPhone 5S and no, a complete RESTORE will not remove your iCLOUD backups. This must be done from your device. Once I did that, I was able to successfully perform an iCloud backup over wifi once again. So, if anyone else test drove IOS 8 and decided they would wait for the bugs to leave when a newer version comes out and went back to IOS 7.1.2 and is having iCloud backup issues, it appears one must delete all previous iCloud backups for that device. Step by step instructions follow:

STEPS: Go to Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup > Manage Storage > Then select the troublesome device's backup such as "My IPHONE" > Then at the bottom of the screen select "Delete Backup" and "Confirm" after the warning pops up.

After completing the deletion just follow the standard iCloud Backup Process. The first time you try the backup may take several minutes since it is a fresh "first time" iCloud backup. However, if it fails to complete the first backup, as mine did, don't fret. It is just trying to get its iCloud brain going so just tap on "Backup Now" again and it should complete the second time. Once it completes a successful backup, it should work as advertised every time.

I found this to be weird and extremely frustrating but apparently this is a bug in as much as Apple and iCloud apparently doesn't want to cooperate if we go backwards on the firmware version. You must erase and begin again like brand new.

I hope this may help someone else who may be frustrated over a similar situation.

Cheers!

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2014 10:59 PM in response to matrixxzero

OK, No help from Apple but I finally figured out how to answer my own question now. lol

Basically, since I had iCloud backups of both my previous IOS Firmware version 7.1.2 AND version 8.0, it appears this confuses iCloud if you go backward to your previous version IOS firmware (which is only capable during a short period of time between launches). This process apparently causes iCloud to go braindead and forget HOW to backup your phones data (even though iTunes can backup to your computer just fine, sort of but that's a different story. ANYWAY, if you also are having iCloud backup issues like I had, solution follows:

Solution: Delete all your old iCloud backups for the device, in this case, my iPhone 5S and no, a complete RESTORE will not remove your iCLOUD backups. This must be done from your device. Once I did that, I was able to successfully perform an iCloud backup over wifi once again. So, if anyone else test drove IOS 8 and decided they would wait for the bugs to leave when a newer version comes out and went back to IOS 7.1.2 and is having iCloud backup issues, it appears one must delete all previous iCloud backups for that device. Step by step instructions follow:

STEPS: Go to Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup > Manage Storage > Then select the troublesome device's backup such as "My IPHONE" > Then at the bottom of the screen select "Delete Backup" and "Confirm" after the warning pops up.

After completing the deletion just follow the standard iCloud Backup Process. The first time you try the backup may take several minutes since it is a fresh "first time" iCloud backup. However, if it fails to complete the first backup, as mine did, don't fret. It is just trying to get its iCloud brain going so just tap on "Backup Now" again and it should complete the second time. Once it completes a successful backup, it should work as advertised every time.

I found this to be weird and extremely frustrating but apparently this is a bug in as much as Apple and iCloud apparently doesn't want to cooperate if we go backwards on the firmware version. You must erase and begin again like brand new.

I hope this may help someone else who may be frustrated over a similar situation.

Cheers!

Oct 6, 2014 6:15 AM in response to matrixxzero

Thank you for your solution. While my problem was not caused by going back to a previous iOS, your solution worked for me, too, when my backups suddenly got stuck.

My problem had been caused by too little iCloud storage. After I deleted some backups and bought more space, it got stuck. I did a backup via iTunes and then followed your steps. Now iCloud backup is back! Thanks.

Oct 11, 2014 1:23 PM in response to matrixxzero

Hi - i have had similar problems.

But it doesnt' mattter what I do. I have heaps of iCloud storage, I deleted my old back-ups and done several manual back ups. Following other advice in other posts I have turned off the Photo Stream back up and all other app back up in attempt to problem solve which app was causing the issue.It fails part the way through every time. When you look at the record of the failed back up, there is 3.7GB of data that has been backed up - but I don't know what.

I know Android was having issues with Facebook preventing its backup from working - but I cannot work out what this issue is!

Its driving me crazy because with IOS 8 they have suspended back up of photos to Dropbox also - so its a complete nightmare!

Oct 11, 2014 6:52 PM in response to matrixxzero

I also have pretty much the same problem, although a bit more complicated.

The OP's problem seems relatively simple in that it was a simple clash of the ios 7 not being able to back up to a ios 8 back up, so deleting back up solved that problem.

I'm having no such luck.

Running ios 8.0.2.

Have deleted all apps, restored device from backup with only iPhotos and iMessage history.

Still stuck on "estimating time remaining" when trying to back up.

Occasionally it would progress to back up, but then proceed to fail.

For example it would move to a point where it would say "about 16 minutes remaining", then it would say, 17, then 18, then 19, then 27 minutes etc etc. You get the idea, it would seem to backup, but then server connection would like fail and it would give increasingly longer times for ETA to backup completion, to the point where at some point it would just say backup failed.

Seems like the root of the problem may have to do with why the Wifi has been so screwed up with ios 8.0.2 on some devices.... maybe it's got to do with an Apple server problems.

Oct 12, 2014 6:45 AM in response to borzy

I think this is a common issue but with the lack of detail in the error it is impossible to work out what is causing it. I have followed Apple's advice but the instructions are very general and don't provide detail of what to do should the instructions not work.

Hey @Apple - are you going to post a response to this thread?

Dec 15, 2014 3:54 PM in response to matrixxzero

After deleting/restoring and all ings possible, I tried to backup my phone in a different network, and worked just fine. It would't work ONLY in my place's network. What I did, and solved this issue once and for all, was disabling, in my router, the IPv6 type of internet connection. Can't explain why, but it did work! Hope I could help!

Happy Holidays!

Dec 15, 2014 9:57 PM in response to matrixxzero

"iCloud Backup Failed | There was a problem enabling iCloud Backup | Cancel | Try Again" when I toggled iCloud Backup off & on. I can access iCloud from my Mac but do not see any backups out there..where would I look? Phone is 5s & I was under the impression that I had backed it up to the iCloud on separate occasions in the past but now I'm not so sure.
It would appear that something happened in the latest update to IOS &/or OS X.

Bill Graham

Jul 4, 2015 5:51 PM in response to matrixxzero

I was hoping you can help me since it sounds like our problems are somewhat similar.

I swapped out my iPhone today with the thought that i synced it to my computer/icloud. However, when I tried to restore my new phone to the last backup it says it hadn't backed up to iCloud since January. (6 months ago). I realize now it was because I was out of space. I bought more iCloud space and want to try to backup my phone to get my most recent pics, texts, etc (a ton since January). Is this possible even though the apple associate erased content on my old phone once I released it over to him?

HELP! Thanks!

Nov 1, 2015 8:44 AM in response to matrixxzero

I'm having the same issue, and I have the same 5S iPhone.

Went to the Genius Bar yesterday & the Apple Tech there confirmed that this is an OS9 issue. We need to wait for another update. Heck of a note, paying for extra iCloud backup & not being able to use it.

If you check iCloud Usage on your phone, you'll see that it likely has nothing or unknown listed. Even if you have the 20GB plan like I do, the phone has no idea what's there to back up.

Suddenly my iPhone 5S cannot backup to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.