Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 Plus Videos not playing 1080p even on Youtube App.

iPhone 6 Plus Videos not playing at 1080p

I am a video buff..I have the iPhone 6 Plus and the Youtube app, can get 1080p for the life of me. I know the video is offered in 1080P even 2 and 4K.

Also, on Apple's movie trailer site, can't get 1080p. 720p is it?

Any help is appreicaited

Posted on Sep 20, 2014 6:44 AM

10 replies

Sep 30, 2014 10:46 AM in response to Lady Engineer

Hi Lady engineer,

I have the same issue as well. Before I got my 6 plus, I went to the ATT store and played a HD video ( NAT GEO) from youtube and got crappy results. I asked them & one of the guys said there is a setting for this but never came back after 15 min wait & I had to run and I knew he was bluffing & trying to be smart. Now that I have my 6 plus, I cant seem to play 1080 from youtube. But Netflix/Amazon instant videos seems to play in 1080.

Hope APPLE sees this & addresses it

Nov 5, 2014 6:57 AM in response to Lady Engineer

I was looking for some answers to this same question and came upon your post.

It's not just an apple issue with YouTube. I have a friend that has the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 phone and they too are unable to watch 1080p videos on youtube and it causes the videos to look like crap.

I don't understand making phones with High Resolution screens and then not being able to watch HD quality video.

Hopefully Youtube fixes this issue soon.

Nov 7, 2014 5:12 PM in response to Lady Engineer

The 1080p resolution is new for Apple devices, and a lot of third party apps haven't been optimized yet to take advantage of the hardware. Same thing happened for the first few months when the iPhone 5 came out. Just give it time. As far as I can tell on my 6 plus, Hulu is optimized, but Netflix and YouTube are not. I'm not even sure if the iTunes movies allow you to download them in bigger than 720p yet. On iPad it does, but not iPhone yet. You can look in the App Store at each app you want to use and see under what devices it works with whether it's optimized yet. If it just says optimized for the 5, it's not yet. That's why some apps will still look fuzzy, have larger keyboards, and the carrier logo and bars on the top of your screen will get bigger when using them. Just give it time. It's not an Apple issue. Just happens whenever Apple brings out a super-secret product with new specs, and then the rest of the world has to catch up. 🙂

iPhone 6 Plus Videos not playing 1080p even on Youtube App.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.