Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A1181 screen goes black when internal keyboard is plugged in

My a1181 (early 2007) backlight goes off when the internal keyboard is plugged in but as soon as the keyboard is unplugged the backlight comes on again. I've reset the SMC and the pram to no avail and was wondering if anyone had a fix for this, it's also just had a new logic board installed.

Will

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Sep 20, 2014 6:58 AM

9 replies

Sep 20, 2014 7:51 AM in response to spudnuty

The guy at my local repair shop.. Anyway took it back to him and he said to take it to the Genius Bar but I've since moved to the Isles of Scilly so that's kind of out of the question.. I've pressed F2 while shining a light and it comes up on the screen as increasing and decreasing the brightness.. Could it be a firmware issue or a short on the logic board?

Will

Sep 20, 2014 12:20 PM in response to stormshack

Ohh Isles of Scilly, looks absolutely gorgeous!

OK back to my reality:

>when you plug in the keyboard it goes to sleep after a minute or 2.<

So that would seem like it's messing with the SMC.

>The guy at my local repair shop.<

So was it working after he replaced the logic board?

Here's the numbers I have for the various logic boards for this model:

661-4218 1.83 GHz

661-4219 2 GHz

661-4220 2 GHz, Black

Uhh, wait, how do you boot it without having the top case in place?

How about a USB keyboard? Bluetooth? Even a PC keyboard

I've got a PC keyboard plugged in right now to my MBP.

It works but in the PC way. The MBP asks you to do some things so it can identify what the keyboard is.

>The guy at my local repair shop.<

So was it working after he replaced the logic board?

Logic Board (with Heatsink)

661-4218 1.83 GHz

661-4219 2 GHz

661-4220 2 GHz, Black

>short on the logic board?<

Maybe, or incompatible board? Damaged connector?

Sep 21, 2014 3:40 AM in response to spudnuty

Okay, thankyou for the reply. The laptop worked with the fans at full speed after the repair, which I took to be a corrupt SMC so reset it and then the problems started. If I hold down the power button for 30 seconds instead of 5 for the reset, insert the magsafe charger and then press the power button again the laptop boots fine with the fans at full speed and no lights on the magsafe connector (after messing around with it last night). The Num lock and caps light still come on like normal.

Could this be an SMC issue??

Will

Sep 21, 2014 8:35 AM in response to stormshack

>I've pressed F2 while shining a light and it comes up on the screen as increasing and decreasing the brightness..<

So that tells me that the actual brightness control works but the fact that the screen is dark points to a SMC issue.

Closed lid mode?

> fans at full speed after the repair<>reset it and then the problems started<

>goes to sleep after a minute or 2<

So all of that seems like an SMC issue.

>Could it be a firmware issue or a short on the logic board<

Yes, what firmware version is it running?

What was wrong w/ the original logic board? Where did the replacement come from?

My MBP is currently at: "SMC Version (system) 1.68f99"

Wait! I've got a MB with a dark screen issue sitting in my "to be repaired" pile. I'll check that one.

>power button on the logic board<

Yes that's often the case. A tech will use that to run the laptop when they're working on it w/ the top off.

A1181 screen goes black when internal keyboard is plugged in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.