Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 won't download apps or updates after ios8 install

I Updated my iPhone 5 to iOS 8. It was fine the first day, but now it won't update apps or download new ones. it appears to start the download or update then just stops and stays on the small circle with no movement. I've tried everything I found on line and nothing works.. Anyone else having these problems or have any ideas? Thanks

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 20, 2014 8:33 AM

6 replies

Sep 24, 2014 12:38 PM in response to Martman70

I tried a number of steps I found online and none worked. I called Apple care and after 1 hour of them having me do the exact same thing, nothing worked. They had me connect via a cable to iTunes and I was able to update the apps at that point, but I still could not update via wi-fi or cell, so they transferred me to an iTunes person. After 40 minutes of waiting I finally hung up (2 hours in total).

My point, besides complaining about Applecare, is that you can at least get your apps to update using iTunes and a cable until someone else can post a better fix to have apps update correctly via wi-fi or cell.

Sep 26, 2014 12:30 PM in response to tspanther

I'm having the exact same issue as all of you. I've found that if I do a hard-reboot the downloads will begin once the phone is back online. It's a work-around, but it shouldn't have to be this way. I contacted Apple about it via e-mail; they told me to check my internet connection, so their "support" was absolutely useless.

Sep 26, 2014 6:09 PM in response to Martman70

As much as I did not want to do this. I reset all settings on my phone. You don't loose data or photos. It just resets all preferences to factory default such as lock password, wallpaper, privacy settings ect. This worked for me. The apps updated and I can install new apps again. The only problem was that a few apps updated but would not open, so I just deleted then and reinstalled them and now they work fine. Hope this works for you too.

iPhone 5 won't download apps or updates after ios8 install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.