Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8 iPad Air Videos App - No Thumbnails For TV Shows

Since the update the videos app doesn't show thumbnails from episodes of tv shows. I've already deleted all media content (movies, tv shows, music) and synchronized then with itunes 11.4 every single tv show, but there are no thumbnails for the episodes until today. No errors like that under iOS 7. My daughter is sad because she can't read and now she doesn't can choose her tv show without our help ... Has anybody an idea for a solution? Or apple: please update your os! :-)

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 20, 2014 10:20 AM

26 replies

Sep 20, 2014 1:58 PM in response to Goldregen

Hi Goldregen,

I have this problem too. No solution that's worked for me yet, but in previous updates others have had success with one of the following (no particular order):

1. restarting videos app

2. resetting ipad

3. deleting all media and resyncing

4. in itunes, reset plays

I'm pretty sure its a bug, hopefully we see it resolved soon...

AR

Ios 8 ipad 2

Sep 20, 2014 4:57 PM in response to Goldregen

It seem the Videos app will only recognise artwork that is 400x600 for Movies and Home Videos, and artwork that is 600x600 for TV Shows. I had hundreds of movies with 600x600 artwork stored under the Movies tab, none of them display any artwork now.

It won'tdisplay a screenshot from the file either, hence why you can't see any 'artwork' for individual epiosdes.

Deleting and/or re-syncing won't help. It would be nice if this was fixed soon as I use the Videos app heavily during my volunteer work. All I have is a screen of grey rectangles.

Sep 22, 2014 3:34 AM in response to Goldregen

Same here, at first none of the TV shows and the last movie I bought from iTunes worked and I had to sync to my computer and install them again. Now none of the thumbnails work except for one's here and there of episodes not on my iPad.

Now I wish I hadn't updated and waited for the next one I'm new to Apple and its little things like this that makes me stay away from getting an iPhone one Apple device is more than enough.

Sep 24, 2014 7:53 AM in response to Goldregen

I am having the same problem for Home Videos. After I updated to the new iOS8 release, on my iPad Air no thumbnails show up for Home Videos. I contacted Apple Support. After resetting my iPad, I still have the same problem. So the support tech suggested setting my iPad back to factory setting thru iTunes as a new iPad, deleting everything, and starting over. I don't think this will work, and I don't want to get rid of everything else and start over! So far I have not come across a solution. Apple needs to fix this bug. It also mixes up my music artist thumbnails with the wrong artist. For example, in Music under the artist Bruno Mars, I have the album cover thumbnail for Mary J Blige!? There are several other artist like this also. This did not happen until I updated to the new iOS8 release. Apple please fix this bug!

Has anyone else come up with a solution besides deleting everything and starting over from scratch? Seems that others have done that also, and it has not worked. FRUSTRATED!

Sep 26, 2014 12:38 PM in response to Goldregen

I converted the artwork image for one of my "home movies" to a 16:9 orientation (just enlarged the canvas size in photoshop) and now it shows up on all my iOS8 devices. I only have about 60 or so movies so it won't be a huge effort to fix this. Probably less than an hour overall. I have a 3yo who watches them and can't read, so it's worth the time for me to fix since it is unlikely Apple will anytime soon. I feel for you guys that have hundreds of files.

Sep 30, 2014 8:48 AM in response to Goldregen

Simliar problem, with additional difficulties. On pc, windows 7, in latest itunes have some 650 movies tagged by MetaX, plus many TV shows, and numerous Home Videos.

In Videos App, EVERYTHING worked perfectly, but then I installed iOS 8!!

Now, I have theses problems:-

Videos App

On iPad Air, when the app is launched, I can see movie artwork, when scrolling down, but by about a third of the way through, the app crashes

every single time. I only get to see the first 100 or so!

TV shows - artwork doesn't show any more on iPad.

Home Videos - despite them being in the correct place on the PC in itunes, set as home movies, on iPad they appear in movies/films, with no art or

thumbnails - I can see the first few before the app crashes as mentioned above.

The problems above are NOT replicated on Apple TV with latest update.

I missed out ios8.01, but updated with the latest iteration in the hope it would fix things - IT DID NOT.

Just crossing my fingers now as not prepared to go re-setting everything.

Sep 30, 2014 2:23 PM in response to Goldregen

Hi...

I've updated my devices to iOS latest version (8.0.2) - same problem!

I also use Videos app heavily on volunteer work, and Apple made it virtually impossible to find any video this way. They got worsen something that was already bad, a very poor app that has not even a search box or just categories to make easier to find some video among hundreds! I don't understand the purpose of so many options to classify videos on iTunes if the only video app on devices doesn't make any use of them...

Has anyone from Apple noticed this bug? Why so quiet? It's a shame!

Sep 30, 2014 2:53 PM in response to rafaelseger

Thank you rafaelseger for posting that you tried the new iOS8.0.2 latest update. I've been holding off doing that update in fear that it would not work. Sorry to hear that Apple has not fixed this very irritating problem.

It is a shame that Apple has not fixed the problem. I am advising all my friends to not do the newest update if they have an Apple Product. And if they don't have Apple Products and thinking of buying them, I tell them not to. Look at other products first and what kind of problems are showing up with any particular item, especially with their updates. Do the homework first. I've since learned from other Apple users, that Apple updates generally cause problems. You should never update their products. It's best to stick with the operating system your product came with when you purchased it. Too bad.

Oct 1, 2014 4:05 PM in response to karesa9

Same problem here. Video thumbnails worked fine in iOS7. I just 'upgraded' to iOS8.0.2 and immediately lost most of my video thumbnails (but not all). Some that I didn't lose are NOT square, so I don't think that is the issue as suggested by xTheEvilDonut. Seems like an obvious bug to me. Hope it's fixed soon. I spent a lot of time making thumbnails for my home videos.

Oct 2, 2014 12:42 PM in response to Goldregen

TThis is really poor, I have dozens of TV shows that I purchased from iTunes for my 2 year old. He now cannot choose a show to watch, as like most 2 year olds HE CAN'T READ! . Under Australiian consumer law, I am entitled to a refund on all of these iTunes purchases as Apple's actions mean that they are no longer fit for their intended purpose.

Oct 5, 2014 7:20 AM in response to jai.ford

I'm having the same problem, but I don't think it is related to the size or shape of the thumbnail. Most thumbnails NOT displayed are not square, including movie thumbnails displayed in the past. However, some new and older thumbnails that ARE displayed include non-square thumbnails. Problem exists with video files only (movies and TV shows). Audio files (Music) are not affected)

iOS 8 iPad Air Videos App - No Thumbnails For TV Shows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.