Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No SIM card installed iPad mini error after iOS8

I Have a second generation iPad mini w/ cellular data but I dont have a SIM card and haven't had one ever since the purchase Because I'm using wifi the whole time. Ever since the update to iOS8, I've been getting a no SIM card installed error message several times during navigation in Safari and other apps. my mum has a first generation iPad w/ cellular data, no sim installed but she doesn't get this error. Am I missing something in the settings?

thank you

iPad 2, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 20, 2014 12:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 8:22 PM

I too updated 4s to ios8, and have been getting No Sim Card Installed prompt message all the time. I too only use wifi all the time and no sim installed. But never get this prompt in ios7.

There are many other things that break too:

- stuttering animation

- battery draining

- browser could not open live video (previously ok in ios7).

Hope apple get it fixed.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2014 8:22 PM in response to Community User

I too updated 4s to ios8, and have been getting No Sim Card Installed prompt message all the time. I too only use wifi all the time and no sim installed. But never get this prompt in ios7.

There are many other things that break too:

- stuttering animation

- battery draining

- browser could not open live video (previously ok in ios7).

Hope apple get it fixed.

Aug 24, 2018 1:07 PM in response to dtme

although this is not idealistic but nowadays i put airplane mode on and wifi mode on, it seems to shun off this message

perhaps it'll work for you too

Aug 24, 2018 1:07 PM in response to Community User

I Take what I said back, that was only wishful thinking

for or those who have never had a sim the cellular data settings are greyed out and inaccessible

Oct 11, 2014 6:54 PM in response to Swieter

I took the SIM card out of my iPhone and put it in my iPAD. Then I disabled Airplane Mode and went into the Cellular settings and turned off Cellular Data. I restored Airplane Mode, and enabled Wi-Fi and took the SIM card out. Over one daddy of using the iPad, I 'feel' like I don't get the No SIM card message as much, but I still get it some. So this isn't the whole solution.

No SIM card installed iPad mini error after iOS8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.