Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Texting glitch in iOS 8 with 5S in landscape mode. Anyone else?

I've just updated my iPhone 5S to iOS 8. I've noticed that when texting beginning in Portrait mode and then flipping the screen to landscape, the screen quickly blacks out and then comes back. After done composing the text, the send button will not work. At all. Only flipping the screen back to portrait will the "Send" button work. I've send an email to Apple feedback about it and was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this glitch and if anyone has found an easy solution besides a iOS update patch?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8, texting glitch

Posted on Sep 20, 2014 12:01 PM

22 replies

Sep 20, 2014 8:04 PM in response to dastonge

I have seen several glitches in messaging...

1) sometimes the message disappears a few seconds before showing in conversation after pressing send

2) switching from landscape to portrait I have had the whole typing section and send button disappear and just be a white block

3) having random issues with notifications not coming in I just get the badge icon no alert after getting a message (also happens with email, Words w friends, ebay and other weather related apps)

I am going to start a new conversation about all these maybe if we make enough noise they will patch it soon!

Sep 29, 2014 8:27 PM in response to dastonge

I Have the same problem with landscape texting not working with ios8. It doesn't work on my iPhone 6 nor on my iPad mini. The keyboard "locks up" but if you turn it back to portrait you can continue typing. I haven't tried with the home button on the left. I usually do have the home button on the right. However this wasn't an issue In prior ios.

Sep 30, 2014 9:18 AM in response to dastonge

Same problem here with my iPhone 6 running iOS 8.0.2. After someone texts me and I move to landscape mode, either my screen goes black for a second or my keyboard freezes and I have to close out Messages and open it back up. The keyboard also freezes in Safari as well.

iOS 8 is FAR from ready for the market. I wish I hadn't upgraded my 4s from iOS 7.1.2 to 8, I would have held onto that until iOS 8 was stable.

Oct 1, 2014 11:33 AM in response to dastonge

I reported this glitch to apple via their reporting system. I would ask that all that are affect by this, report it too. The more reports the better. However, since the iOS 8.0.2 update this issues has gotten better for me. It's not perfect but now it's just hit or miss when texting in landscape mode, the screen blanking out seemed to have stop.ped The iOS updates I feel need to be device specific because of the difference screen sizes from the 4s to the 6+. I feel like the screen sizes are a root cause.

Oct 1, 2014 6:35 PM in response to dastonge

I'm having the same exact issue. It's not constant, but there are times the left 3rd of my keyboard (home button on right) will not work. I try to get out of it by tapping 'Messages' and that won't work either. The only way to get around it is to turn the phone to portrait mode and turn it right back to landscape. That always fixes it. It only started happening after updating to IOS 8.

Dec 1, 2014 9:17 AM in response to dastonge

Recalibration of the compass has not worked for me, it only works for a short while and then it's back again; but I have so far found one that is holding true so far. I figured it had to be something the Apple coders changed in Messages for iOS 8, one was predictive type and the other was the recording feature. If you turn off "Raise to Listen" under Setting-Messages then the screen no longer blacks out or starts recording a message. This is definitely a bug in the iOS, the question is why it doesn't affect more people, maybe those people upgraded to a 6. Either way this workaround has solved my screen from blacking out and then having the "Send" button not work while in Landscape mode. It works flawlessly now.

Dec 1, 2014 10:34 AM in response to dastonge

dastonge wrote:

This is definitely a bug in the iOS, the question is why it doesn't affect more people, maybe those people upgraded to a 6.

Glad to hear you've found a work around. Hopefully it'll help a few others. I have a 5S and have not had any such problem with any version of software put on it. As for it being a global bug of the OS millions of 5S phones are still being used so I suspect that's why you are not seeing it affect more people. There's likely a common denominator thats causing it but what? The best thing you can right now is report it to Apple.

Texting glitch in iOS 8 with 5S in landscape mode. Anyone else?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.