Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8 Family Sharing Notification Issues

I receive "request to buy" notifications, from my daughter, on my iPad, but not on my iPhone. If I approve, she receives the notification, but if I decline, she does not receive the denied notification.

Anyone else having these kind of issues?

Until iOS 8, my entire family shared an iTunes account for purchases. I have set up Family Sharing, as the Organizer, and under my iCloud account, but it is not the shared iTunes account. I did pick the shared iTunes account under the Family Purchases section of the Family Sharing setup. I then invited my daughter and set her iPad up to do the family sharing. She is required to ask to make purchases and it seems to work.

Like I said at the beginning of this post, I receive a request notification on my iPad, but not my iPhone. I checked the settings between my iPad and my iPhone and they match exactly. I don't want to tinker around so much because I have the other posts about Family Sharing limitations and lockouts.

I'm afraid to "convert" my son and wife to the new family sharing plan until I know for sure the rest of this system is going to work as advertised.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 20, 2014 1:44 PM

16 replies

Nov 17, 2014 3:49 AM in response to HiTekToy

I have this issue also, but I am getting my notifications on my Mac and not my phone. I went into "notifications" on both devices and found this, my Mac shows Family

User uploaded file

but its not on my phone. No matter what I do I can not find out how to get Family to even show up in notifications on my phone. It also does not show up on my iPad. Seems like a miss on iOS 8's part. Thoughts?

Nov 24, 2014 3:25 PM in response to Bickity

Same for me as for Rickety - no Family Notification in my iOS devices running 8.1 and higher, but I am getting the ask to buy notifications on my mac computers with no issue.

I happened to have my iPhone 5 handy and reviewed the settings - Family Notification is there for iOS 8.0 and I get the ask to buy notifications when I log back into the old iPhone 5 with the old iOS.

Is this an error on Apple's part removing Family Notifications on iOS? Very frustrating for my Family Share users.

Jan 15, 2015 6:00 PM in response to HiTekToy

Same issue -- getting notifications on my mac laptop OS 10.10.1 ("Family" available in notification settings), but not on iphone iOS 8.1.2 (no "Family" setting avail)... and I did get notices on my ipad until I upgraded from iOS 8.0 ("Family" setting avail) to 8.1.2 ("Family" setting disappeared). Crazy that Apple made such a huge mistake in this latest OS update.

Jan 31, 2015 2:44 AM in response to HiTekToy

Already written this entry in another post, but since many people, including me, I post it here, too, but unfortunately no solution:

Same here. What's really strange it the following. I just recently set up family sharing, and have only received 3 requests. First time the notification of the request only turned up on my computer at work, next time only on my phone. The third time only on my computer at home. Whenever I try to approve on any of the computers I get stuck in a sort of loop where I enter my Apple ID. What I do is, the following. I find the notification, and click on it, get to the "info screen" where I get some info on the app and the two buttons deny and approve in the upper right corner.. I decide to approve and is prompted to enter my password, which I do. Then only thing that happens is that the dialog box disappears, taking me back to the "info screen" where I can approve but before I'm able to do anything, the dialog box prompting me for my Apple ID comes up again. I enter the password, and so it goes until I choose "cancel" in the dialog box. I then get back to the "info screen". I've never tried to press the deny button there. The second notification that I got, the one on my phone, worked without any trouble at all. Would be nice if I could get the notification for requests number 1 and 2 (the ones I got on computer work and computer home), but I haven't found any notification on the phone for those two apps.

Mar 28, 2015 7:53 AM in response to pedro9872

I'm having the same issue. I've been working with Apple help for the last week to solve the problem. Now I don't get notifications on any of my devices only the computers. The issue has been escalated to an Apple engineer. I'm worried that I'm not going to get notifications at all once they are done with me. Family sharing is a great concept. I hope they will get it to work better.

May 4, 2015 9:22 AM in response to HiTekToy

Any success with this for anyone?

I just set up Family Sharing and can't get notifications to work on my phone.

When I log in to iCloud/iTunes/App Store on my wife's phone, the notifications will work fine.

Mine is a 5S, hers is a 5, both running 8.3. She's only had the phone for a month, I've had mine for a year.

I too noticed that there is no notification setting for "Family", on either hers or mine. I do believe I recall seeing it there before. I'm usually ruthless with turning off notifications; I'm wondering if I set mine "off" when it was first available and then when it was eliminated as an option in the OS, it kept it off.

Jun 6, 2015 12:41 AM in response to Bickity

I am having the exact same problem. I've set up family share and I am not getting the notifications for "ask to buy" from my children's accounts on my iphone 6 or iPad mini, both running IOS 8.3. Ironically, I get the notification on my MacBook pro which is circa 2009. I can see the "Family" icon is listed and turned on in notifications on my MacBook, but the family icon is not listed anywhere in notifications on my iPhone 6 or iPad mini. I also checked my husband's iPhone 6plus and my old iPhone 5 - all running IOS 8.3 and that Family icon is not on any of our notifications lists (and yes I checked both included and not included lists). When i tried to troubleshoot this with apple on the phone, the first technician I spoke to said in his simulator iPhone, that Family icon was there in notifications which. His simulator is supposed to look exactly how my phone looks running they same IOS, so this is really annoying. Got escalated to a supervisor - no clue. My case is being escalated to the engineers, but i don't feel very hopeful at this point.

Apr 6, 2016 9:24 AM in response to HiTekToy

I'm running iOS9 on an iPhone SE and I was experiencing the same issue. I was getting the App request notifications on my iPad and Laptop but not on my iPhone, even though I was getting them previously.

As you may now, our Apple account IDs have changed over the years. First it was a .mac account, then it was .me, and now its .icloud. We were told along the way that the even though our account name changed, Apple would recognize and accept them all equally. And while that may be true in some respects, it doesn't appear to be true with when it comes to iTunes on the iPhone.

I noticed on my iPhone, I was seeing my .icloud username for the iCloud sign-in and for iTunes, I was seeing my .mac username. I signed out of iTunes and then signed back in using my .icloud username, however I saw that the iPhone instantly changes the username back to the .mac username. It doesn't let you change it. So, instead I signed out of iCloud and signed back in using my .mac username so it would match iTunes. I then had my son send me a request to test it and now I"m getting notifications again. Go figure.

I don't understand why this would make a difference since all the usernames we have are supposed to point to the same account. Clearly a glitch in he iOS.

Some years ago, I had another iTunes account that was associated with a non-Apple email address. I"m not sure why I had another Apple account, but when I realized I was buying content between two different accounts, I contacted Apple to request they merge the two accounts. I really didn't want to manage two different accounts- especially with the Apple TV, I would have to sign in and out to access movies I had ended up buying on both accounts. They told me it was not possible, and that if I wanted to have just one account, I would have to simply close one of the accounts but I then lose access to all the content I purchased on that account. With all the technology Apple has developed, it was a huge surprise to me that such a simple request could not be met. And it appears the "complexity" of multiple Apple ID's still proves to be a problem for the "most influential technology company in the world."

iOS 8 Family Sharing Notification Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.