Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family sharing - Stream movies to idevice instead of downloading?

HI!

i Just set up Family Sharing.

All good in apps, but have this annoying thing with movies:

in the past, with my kid's ipad, I used to have my own iTunes account on it so, when going to the Video app, all my movies purchases where ready to stream directly to the device.

Now with Family Sharing, on my kid's iPad, no movies are available for streaming. I (he) need(s) to go to purchased items on iTunes app, choose my profile, then select movies and yes, he's able to DOWNLOAD it to tjhe ipad, but not stream it.

The fact is that this is less comfortable than the previous situation, as he's not able to directly stream them, which is a pity...

I do have eitherway an iTunes 'server' with the old Home Sharing setup, and yes, he's able to get them from the 'shared' tab of the Videos app, but he was already able to do so in the past.

Also, home sharing only works at home, as it needs to get the media from the iTunes library which has Home Sharing enabled, so it's useless (as it was) outside home.

Now, the new Family Sharing is intersting, but I'm annoyed I read on Apple's website that, upon getting to any other member's itunes items, the rest would be able to DOWNLOAD OR PLAY the items.

(See here;

Family Sharing

Either taht info was wrong, or there's something wrong in my case, or the feature is not working for some other reason.

Any ideas?

Posted on Sep 20, 2014 3:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2017 4:57 PM

It is May of 2017! C'mon Apple allow streaming items in the family library. I like how Google implemented family sharing: all the purchased movies are under one hood ---> no need to go to purchased items and select family members.

Do something similar. Why I have to switch back and forth family members in order to see their purchases: everything should be in neatly one place.

Lastly, why I cannot stream the purchased movies of the family member. The only available option is to download the whole **** movie.

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2017 4:57 PM in response to commandcom

It is May of 2017! C'mon Apple allow streaming items in the family library. I like how Google implemented family sharing: all the purchased movies are under one hood ---> no need to go to purchased items and select family members.

Do something similar. Why I have to switch back and forth family members in order to see their purchases: everything should be in neatly one place.

Lastly, why I cannot stream the purchased movies of the family member. The only available option is to download the whole **** movie.

Oct 28, 2017 10:08 PM in response to Arnbarrow

Agreed. This is rather infuriating. I can't imagine it's a DRM thing because if someone in your Family Sharing pool can download the movie they should also be able to just stream it. Really doesn't make any sense.

The good news is that no one in my family really wants to stream the movies I've purchased on their iOS devices but I'm sure they would if I told them they could (at least my daughters). Even worse when they go to a movie in the iTunes Store and see the price like it hasn't been purchased, granted that's how App Store content works too, which still baffles me. If their part of the family and I've already purchased an app/movie/song then it should just show the download icon rather than a price.

Oh well, it's still weird that this is a thing after more than 2 years of this feature being available.

Nov 26, 2017 3:23 AM in response to commandcom

I had this issue with my wife’s new I phone X. My daughters iPhone shows all our movies bought through my account and she can stream them and of course I can. But on my wife’s phone they did not show our movies and she could only download them from iTunes.

I could not find a solution to this on line. I looked at all three phones and noticed that all three of us have our own Apple ID set up on our phones then had family sharing turned on. The only difference on my daughters phone was her phone was signed in with her id but had my apple id as the I tunes & App store ID, Hence why she could stream our movies etc

I then changed the iTunes & App store Id to my iTunes ID on my wife’s phone and then she could stream all the content while keeping her phone in her own apple ID

Might not be the best fix but might help you out in the meantime to get the kids devices streaming

Jan 8, 2018 5:46 PM in response to JSOBAK

Your option is a work-around, but comes with risks. If you log-in your credentials to iTunes, then those family members have the apple family 'organizer' rights. A younger child might accidentally make purchases and you can't prevent it. An older child may realize this and purposely make some purchases. Either case I bet Apple will not refund you. I say the risk of misuse is too high.

Each family member should be entitled to all their designated family members iTunes purchases. There should also be a consistent user experience regardless the device the content is being accessed from.

Look at the date of the first thread post here. Shocking that this is still an issue. If Apple has a reason for not changing it, then why not post the reason here. Whether we agree with it or not at least then we would have a reason to see their point of view.

I bet Apple doesn't ever read these threads. Over the years I have read many of these threads looking for tips and advice on Apple products. I have seen some really good questions and requests be completely ignored. The only way to get their attention is for people to stop buying Apple products. As you can see from iPhone X sales people will buy anything if it has Apple's name on it. I keep waiting for that next impressive mobile technology leap, but still yet to arrive, although it doesn't prevent Apple from their annually iPhone fanfare.

Mar 25, 2018 6:15 AM in response to clara_cluck

It seems that this issue is falling on deaf ears, but I’ll add my voice to the silence anyway. I’ve just run into this exact problem and totally agree that this is unacceptable in 2018. If there are licensing reasons, then at the very least they should come out and say so. The fact that the issue was reported 4 years ago and still hasn’t been addressed is ridiculous!

Nov 5, 2014 4:40 PM in response to JaredFromMA

I am curious about this also. You would think that the movies that are being shared would show up in the Video app and you could just stream them, the way that the Family "owner" can. Everyone else has to download them, unless you are on a computer (I think you can stream from a computer if you are a family member, but definitely not on the IOS devices). This needs to be fixed, as most people don't have the time to wait for the download, or the space on the device. It seems like it would be a really easy fix: they just need to set the Video app to look for those movies. Argh!

Dec 4, 2014 7:30 PM in response to commandcom

Yeah it does seem weird that Apple hasn't changed this. I can, however, stream shared movies from my AppleTV. Just not any iDevices. It would be really nice if they did get it to work since I've mistakenly made iTunes purchases using two different Apple ID's. Was hopeful this would be an easy way to access movies from both accounts without having to hog up precious space on my iPhone/iPad.

Dec 27, 2014 11:04 AM in response to Anthony Belanger

Couldn't agree more. I bought my wife a new iPad and the sharing of the Apple ID was something I was looking forward to switching over to family sharing to simplify trying to manage multiple phone #'s and email addresses under one Apple ID by device and to also prepare for the day when my kids are teenagers and want their own accounts to make their own purchases, etc. Issues like having 5 devices ringing/buzzing away when someone calls me is annoying and could be tackled by adding Apple ID's and switching to family sharing. However, the inability to stream movies is an immediate deal killer. My wife wants to watch a movie while working out and certainly isn't going to wait for an hour for it to download first. Yuck!

Family sharing - Stream movies to idevice instead of downloading?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.