Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tried updating my iPad mini to iOS 8, it went into recovery mode and when I try to update then restore it on iTunes it says the download will last 300 HOURS and then it says something like "Connection failed"?

I tried uppdating my ipad then it went into recovery mode. I thought "oh no problem, my phone has done this before". So, I hooked it up to iTunes and started to restore/update it, but when the update began, it said it would take 24 hours to download. Already abnormal. Then, the number kept rising higher and higher until it got to 300 HOURS. Then, once it reaches a certain 300, it says "connection failed. please check to see that you have a working connection or try again later" or something like that. So, my iPad is now stuck in recovery mode and I can't exactly talk to people now. What do I do?

iPad, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on Sep 20, 2014 9:13 PM

3 replies

Sep 23, 2014 7:11 AM in response to aZaa4401

So many people have reported these kinds of huge time estimates and many of them have tried again at off-peak hours and had no problem, so instead of "thrashing" around changing settings and such, my advice would be to try at a time of day when Apple's servers are less likely to be slammed and network congestion less of an issue.

My sister-in-law in NY went from an estimated 55 hours last night to 30 minutes and a successful update this morning at 3 am (EST). Based on reports from friends and their friends, this is probably an Apple or network backbone issue, as they have had the same trouble with various ISPs and connection methods.

-dan

Tried updating my iPad mini to iOS 8, it went into recovery mode and when I try to update then restore it on iTunes it says the download will last 300 HOURS and then it says something like "Connection failed"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.