Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11.4 will not sync ringtones with iPhone 6

My brand new iPhone 6 will not download my custom ringtones from iTunes. iTunes recognizes the phone, and goes through the steps as if it were syncing, but nothing appears on my phone. What's the deal?

Windows 7

Posted on Sep 20, 2014 10:48 PM

15 replies

Oct 17, 2014 1:34 PM in response to Mischievous

You have to enable ringtones in your library. I was just wondering the same thing, and these are the steps I took to resolve:

1. Open iTunes Preferences.

2. Under the "General" tab, in the "Sources" section, ensure that the "Tones" box is checked. Click OK.

3. Go into your iPhone in iTunes and you should see the "Tones" section at the top. Click and sync your ringtones.

Easy as pie.

Nov 6, 2014 8:59 PM in response to daniela78634

I spent half a day yesterday sorting this out but finally a post on one of the other forums solved it...

Check that your original file is an mR4 file not MPEG. Even if it is mR4, it may have strayed into the Music folder in iTunes rather than the Ringtones folder. I had this same problem - no way to make it move from the Music library into the Ringtone library.

Apparently the problem is that once a file is in a folder, iTunes doesn't go back again to check the extension. You need to move the original file out of the music folder to, say, the desktop. Make sure it's deleted from the Music library. Then upload it back into iTunes and it should check its file type because now its a new file and put it in the Ringtones folder. Then make sure the new ringtone is selected and sync. This is what worked for me (finally).

PS: I used Audiko Pro to create the two ringtone files - one worked simply and automatically, the other was a nightmare. When I backed up from my iPhone 5 to iPhone 6, the first one transferred automatically, the second had a mind of its own.

Jan 7, 2015 9:03 AM in response to Mischievous

I've just done this today. I'm using fully updated OS on both iPhone 6 and iTunes as of this date. This is my first time post for this sort of thing as I couldn't find the definitive post which takes you through it along each step. Hope this helps.

1. Once you've chosen the tune you wish to use as a Ringtone, you need to convert it to ACC or MP3 file (when it appears as a copy in iTunes as a duplicate song rename it)

2. You can go into the "Get Info" section to make alterations to the format of the song - e.g. which bit of the tune you want and there's plenty of content on how to do that on here

3. I then took the renamed tune, right click to Open in Windows - this takes into Windows and I then dragged that file onto my Desktop

4. You then have to convert this file from .m4a to .m4r - this was the tricky bit and I couldn't at first find the answer either converting via iTunes or Windows 7

5. Under Windows - Control Panel - Appearance - Folder Options - View tab - then "Uncheck" the "Hide Extensions for Known File Types"

6. Go back to your the tune placed on your desktop and right click and you can now rename the tune with the file extension .m4r

7. Drag this back into your iTunes folder ensuring you're clear that this is now the copy you want to use as a ringtone to synch (i.e. deleting other copy's, etc - keep the original if you need that.

8. In iTunes you need to make sure that you're able to Synch Tones - again, there's plenty of posts to explain that

9. Synch and it should get onto the phone.

Hope that helps.

iTunes 11.4 will not sync ringtones with iPhone 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.