Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't turn Voiceover off on iPod Touch 5th gen in ios8

I picked up my iPod Touch (5th gen) and somehow this turned on voice over with some sort of accessibility thing that wants me to tap once, then twice, scroll or drag with three fingers, and it's constantly talking to me!

When I (painfully) navigate to Settings > General > Accessibility > VoiceOver, the VoiceOver switch is on. Tapping, then double-tapping should turn it off. But it doesn't. The switch turns off, but then just turns right back on by itself.

HOW CAN I TURN THIS VERY FRUSTRATING MODE OFF? Then once I turn it off, how do I disable it forever?

iPod touch, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 21, 2014 2:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2014 3:15 AM

Triple click the home button and try going to Settings>General>Accessibility and turn VoiceOver off. You may have to use three fingers to scroll the screen to get there. If problems see the following for how to turn off via iTunes:

iPhone: Configuring accessibility features (including VoiceOver and Zoom)

3 replies

Sep 21, 2014 3:32 AM in response to lllaass

Thanks Illass, I did not know about disabling via iTunes.

I used Apple's Support Chat to solve this. The VoiceOver toggle button did not work properly. Once on, it would not toggle to off. (It would turn off, but then snap right back to on.) According to the Support person, it can be (and did) turned off by pressing the home button once the VoiceOver switch was selected.

The on screen instructions did not mention this.

I will use iTunes to see if I can disable it so I don't accidentally turn it on again.

I can't turn Voiceover off on iPod Touch 5th gen in ios8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.