Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8 can't disable background app refresh

Does anybody else face this issue? Apps still running in the background even if Background App refresh is completely disabled, this really drains my battery

iPhone 5, iOS 8

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 21, 2014 3:35 AM

7 replies

Sep 24, 2014 2:42 AM in response to stralex

Same problem here. I've disabled Background App Refresh for all apps but one (Omnifocus). This morning the standard Stock app drained 10% of battery while the iphone was in airplane mode. I've seen it on the battery usage.

I've restored my iPhone 5 due days ago without any iCloud import. A fresh start. I never even opened the Stock app, ever...

I see several problems here:

• Apps can run in background even without being allowed
  • Apps can run in background even if you ever opened them (I recall that background allowance was usage based)
  • Some apps (even apple provided) do not really understand what airplane mode is.

Hope they fix... I can't get through the day even if I put the phone in airplane and leave it on a desk....

Nov 6, 2014 12:38 PM in response to stralex

I have this same exact issue. At one point the Stocks app was eating up to 50% of my battery per day. I finally contacted Apple support and spent two hours with them hard resetting my phone. I still have the issue but only at half capacity. Stocks is only eating 25% of my battery on a daily basis. I bet there are many many people out there who also have this issue but do not even know.

Would really appreciate an Apple rep to comment on this with a possible fix. I understand we cannot remove specific apps that are installed on the phone by default, but there should be an option when one is facing an issue such as this where it completely ruins the quality of life your customer has with your product. I've never considered Android, but with the fact thatmy phone is dying because of a program I cannot delete or turn off. I have a major issue with that.

iOS 8 can't disable background app refresh

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.