Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks 10.9.5, wifi has stopped working. I tried renewing the DHCP lease. IP address169.254.79.190 keeps coming up again and again and obviously does not work. I tried a manual address that works on my iMac. Still the macbook pro will not connect.

Mavericks 10.9.5, wifi has stopped working. I tried renewing the DHCP lease. IP address169.254.79.190 keeps coming up again and again and obviously does not work. I tried a manual address that works on my iMac. Still the macbook pro will not connect. I tried setting up a new location and then the wifi. Still the IPv4 address comes up as a 169.254..... so no connection. Help!!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Sep 21, 2014 3:46 AM

14 replies

Sep 21, 2014 2:41 PM in response to lenafric

Hold down the option key and select the Wi-Fi menu in the menu bar. What values are shown for the following?

PHY Mode

Channel

Security

Signal/Noise or RSSI

Transmit Rate

Please do not post the BSSID, as that information is private.

Now hold down the option key again and select

 ▹ System Information... ▹ Network ▹ Wi-Fi

Compare the two-letter Country Code with the ISO code for your country. Does it match? The code X0 means that the country couldn't be determined. The code X3 means South America, not otherwise specified.

Oct 8, 2014 10:15 PM in response to lenafric

Right - my problem is that I'm travelling, and am encountering this problem with wifi connections at hotels and guesthouses and so on (not back home). It's super annoying and I'm pretty angry that this 'update' has made it hard for me to access internet on the road, whereas in the past I never had these issues. I guess I need to go back to an earlier version of Mavericks. I was just wondering if there was some fix in light of my specific circumstances.

Apr 20, 2015 5:12 PM in response to flashysite

Same problem... 169.254.xxx. After trying out several solutions...

(1) Restarted my mac several times

(2) SMC reset

(3) PRAM reset

(4) removed all network profiles and renewed them

(5) deleted all Keychain access related to network (airport)

(6) deleted network configuration plist file

(7) deleted bluetooth configuration plist file

(8) deleted the system configuration folder entirely

The one thing that worked was this bluetooth thing...

(9) System preferences -> Network > Redefine the priority of the connections (wifi, ethernet, bluetooth,...). Strangely a Bluetooth DUN appeared that was not shown. Added Bluetooth DUN and then deleted it. Checked if it was gone in the Redefine priority.

(10) Just in case deleted bluetooth configuration plist file again. Restarted mac again. Tadaaaa! It works!

I really don't know if steps (1) to (8) were necessary. Step (9) was crucial.

Mavericks 10.9.5, wifi has stopped working. I tried renewing the DHCP lease. IP address169.254.79.190 keeps coming up again and again and obviously does not work. I tried a manual address that works on my iMac. Still the macbook pro will not connect.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.