Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 6 screen rotation locking randomly

Iphone 6 screen rotation locking randomly after using camera. Portrait Orientation icon not responding. Only way to fix is to reboot. It then happens again after using camera, also effects web browser. Anyone having same problem?

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 21, 2014 5:42 AM

9 replies

Sep 22, 2014 10:35 PM in response to coget

I Am also having this problem. I reboot and it won't be stuck. A lot of the videos I shot are all stuck in the upside down orientation.

Apple needs to have an orientation (rotation) option for videos that come out upside down.

I am having numerous rotation screen malfunctions and I think it may have something to do with the orientation on the home screen getting stuck when I am getting out of the photo app or it could be that I carry the phone upside down in my pocket or bag because the bottom of the apple case isn't protected at all.

Sep 22, 2014 10:47 PM in response to coget

I'm having a lot of orientation issues as well. Sometimes, when I take the phone out of my pocket, the orientation will be upside down...as if it flipped while in my pocket, but that doesn't make much sense because my screen was never on while in my pocket (that I'm aware of anyway). Other times, the phone gets stuck in landscape mode. If I flip the phone 180 degrees it wont rotate. If I rotate it 90 degrees into portrait mode, that works fine. Also, I've had issues with rotating from portrait to landscape and the keyboard not working. Sometimes, the whole screen is frozen too until I switch to portrait and back several times.

This and the WIFI issues are the only problems I've had so far with iOS 8. Otherwise, it's been great!

Sep 25, 2014 5:46 PM in response to eisforme

I'm having the same problem. Today I was in Messages and tried to take a photo to send. I would snap the photo and it immediately turned upside down. It kept doing this until I noticed that the flash Auto button in the upper left was upside down even though I was holding the phone right side up.

Rather than reboot I ended up just turning the phone upside down and took it that way.

I've also had Safari stuck in landscape mode.

This is on an iPhone 6

Sep 28, 2014 2:47 AM in response to coget

I Have an iPhone 6 64GB and I am experiencing all the same issues with the random rotation locking and inverted video picture. I too have checked to make sure he rotation lock option is not selected. toggling it does not correct the problem. Shaking the phone to accentuate the orientation does nothing. The only fix for screen orientation and the inverted video problem is a generally a power recycle.

The new phones (6) have a new accelerometer chipset from Invesense. Their sensitivity can be adjusted (different cycle rates). I suspect that higher cycle rates consume more power. So since the environment for starting up a camera or flipping a screen is a low accuracy situation, my wild *** guess is that there is a software glitch related to feedback from the chipset in certain settings. That may be why everyone is reporting variable times when the problem manifests itself.

I was hoping it would be on the bug list for iOS 8.0.2, but it's not.

Dec 28, 2014 7:43 AM in response to coget

My iPhone 6 also locks in landscape mode, but usually in Text messaging, and has nothing to do with the camera. To solve it, I just reboot the app not the phone. (double click the home button and swipe up on the offending app to kill it) When I relaunch it, it is correct again. I still wish it would work right though :/

Oct 5, 2015 9:16 AM in response to coget

I have a 128GB 6 plus and only encountered this issue after updating to IOS 9. I found a work around that has resolved the issue for me 100% Hope it helps you too.

Symptoms:

• Seemingly on a random basis, when unlocking my phone or returning to the home screen from an app, my iPhone will flip into landscape mode and get stuck there, even if the phone is physically in portrait orientation.
  • If I then physically rotate my phone to landscape orientation and then back to portrait, the home screen does not respond to the rotation, it stays in landscape.
  • If I launch an app such as Mail, rotation response is normal. I can go from portrait to landscape and back as expected. If I flip to portrait in the app, then hit the home button, my home screen will return to portrait orientation.
  • Bottom line is that the accelerometer responds inside of apps, but not on the home screen when the phone is in this error state.
  • Once the phone is in the error state, there doesn't seem to be any combination of settings, etc that can return it to its proper state.

Work Around:

• Shut off your phone (I don't mean lock the screen, I meet hold down the sleep/wake button until the power off slide shows up and shut the phone down.
  • Hold the phone in portrait orientation and power the phone on.
  • Keep the phone in portrait orientation until it is fully booted, then unlock the phone to go to your home screen.
  • Now rotate the phone to landscape mode. If it responds normally and goes back and forth to landscape and portait as expected, you're not in the error state and the home screen accelerometer will continue to function normally until you have to do a reboot.
  • If when you power the phone on and unlock the phone it is stuck on portrait mode and will not rotate into landscape mode on the home screen, the phone booted into the error state. Power it off again and power it back on in portrait orientation. Repeat until it boots into a non-error state.

Bottom Line:

Problem seems to be on accelerometer calibration for the home screen during start up. If it self calibrates during startup, you're good. If not, reboot in portrait mode.

Hope that helps, I haven't had to deal with this frustration since.Side Note:

• When I updated to IOS 9, I started the update and put my phone down on the table through the entire process including when it booted up. That's when all of these issues started.
  • When I updated to IOS 9.0.2, I made sure the phone was in portrait orientation and physically vertical through the entire update and boot up process. Haven't had the issue return since.

Iphone 6 screen rotation locking randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.