Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows Migration Assistant

hi, I'm going to my buy a 27" iMac when Yosemite gets released, but on a Windows 7 PC at the moment. from initial iMac setup i'm going to use Windows Migration Assistant to transfer everything from Windows 7 into iMac. going to use a wired Ethernet connection to transfer data. does any of the PCs need to be connected to the internet for the transfer to go through successfully ? e.g. does any part of the transfer need to communicate with apple servers for a reason.

sorry if I've posted this in wrong section

thanks in advance

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 21, 2014 6:02 AM

1 reply

Sep 23, 2014 9:04 AM in response to alistairmck

Hey alistairmck,

Thanks for the question. After reviewing your post, it sounds like you want to know about Windows migration assistant requirements. I would recommend that you read this article, it may be able to help you resolve or isolate the issue.

Switch Basics: Migrate your Windows files to your Mac

1. On your PC, Download Windows Migration Assistant , then open it.
  2. Make sure both computers are turned on and connected to your wired or wireless network. If needed, you can use a single ethernet cable to create a simple network between the two computers.
  3. Click Continue on the PC.
  4. On your Mac, open Migration Assistant by clicking Launchpad in the Dock, and typing Migration Assistant in the search field.
  5. When you're asked how you want to transfer your information, choose "From another Mac, PC, Time Machine backup, or other disk".
  6. Click Continue on your Mac.
  7. When prompted, enter your name and password.
  8. Click Continue to quit other applications. Other applications can't be open on your Mac during the transfer.
  9. Select "From another Mac or PC".
  10. Click Continue.
  11. Once your PC appears in the Migration Assistant window of your Mac, click Continue.
  12. On your PC you should see the passcode that was displayed on the Mac. Click Continue.
  13. On your Mac, select the information you want to transfer to your Mac, then click Continue.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Have a nice day,

Mario

Windows Migration Assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.