Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

For an iCloud and/or Windstream email account, how can I delete emails across multiple devices, without having to go to each device?

I have a friend with an iCloud email account and Windstream account on both her iPad and iPhone... She's saying that when she deletes an email from one device, it doesn't delete it from the other automatically... She's using both emails through the "Mail, Contacts and Calendars" settings under the "Settings" menu; not through apps... I've had her check both of her email account settings to make sure that the settings were consistent... I've never had this issue with Exchange or Gmail, and I don't use the iCloud email account, so I'm a little unfamiliar with what else to look at... Can someone offer some advice, please?

Thank you for your help!

Posted on Sep 21, 2014 7:15 AM

6 replies

Sep 21, 2014 7:30 AM in response to Witchy_Biker

IMAP is the mail protocol that allows you to delete a message one place and have it delete everywhere else. iCloud uses IMAP, so it should be working. If the messages never delete, then something may be incorrect in the settings. The easiest thing to do with iCloud is to logout of the account on every device, and then login again. (Another common problem with iCloud email is people often have two Apple IDs, and thus may have two iCloud email accounts. If you get confused about which one you're using, you may think you've deleted email when you actually haven't.)

If the iCloud messages do ultimately delete across all devices, then it could be that some devices aren't set to "Push" but are instead set to "Fetch" the newest info from the server. Fetch can be set to as long as an hour between check-ins.

The same holds true for Windstream if she's using an IMAP account there, too. If it's a POP account, then deleting a message one place will never delete it anywhere else—that's the way POP works.

Sep 21, 2014 8:09 AM in response to preludio

Rats, I had a whole reply written out and then it all disappeared! Ok, let me try this again...

Preludio,

Thank you, first of all, for your super quick reply! I believe your answer about the Windstream account will help her... I've sent her the instructions on how to check those and should hear back soon... Thank you!

I have a couple of questions about the iCloud account, for my clarification... In order for her to delete emails across both devices on her iCloud account, (if I'm understanding this correctly), she should have her settings on the "Mail, Contacts, Calenders" page on "Push" and not "Fetch"... Is that correct? I have mine on Fetch just because I don't like it buzzing all day long, so I've not used "Push" much...

Thanks again!!!

Witchy_Biker

Sep 21, 2014 12:22 PM in response to Witchy_Biker

To clarify: it doesn't matter if it's push or fetch. Both settings will allow synchronization for IMAP accounts. The main difference is how they do the synchronization and how often. If Fetch is set for a long interval, a message may take a long time before it is deleted. So, are they truly not being deleted?

Regardless, logging out and back in is simple enough to try.

Sep 21, 2014 12:37 PM in response to Csound1

I was just trying to clarify my original response. I wasn't arguing with yours.

Other people may come across this discussion, wondering about types of mail providers that are not iCloud and Windstream. If it's an IMAP account, it will synchronize whether the setting is push or fetch. An IMAP mail server may allow either or both settings, but the outcome for synchronization is the same.

For an iCloud and/or Windstream email account, how can I delete emails across multiple devices, without having to go to each device?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.