Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 charging issues with IOS 8

I've noticed some weird charging issues since updating to IOS 8 two days ago:

Yesterday while my iPhone was plugged in the battery level started going down despite the device not being in use. A hard reset fixed the issue

I always leave my phone to charge over night. Last night before I went to bed, it was at 65%. I woke up several hours later and it had only made it to 67%. I unplugged the cable and plugged it back in, and saw it increase to 70% over the next few minutes. Went back to sleep for a few more hours, and it was only at 79% when I woke up.

Currently my phone is plugged in and seems to be stuck at 86% while charging

FYI, each of these instances occured with different first party chargers. Any help?

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 21, 2014 7:31 AM

17 replies

Sep 21, 2014 12:09 PM in response to derbydanx

Same here. 5s phone.

After upgrade to ios8 phone decharged overnight with apple cable and charger. I noted I could never get 100% charge even after restart. Plugged into computer and actually started to see battery charge go down. Had issues once before where phone decharged from 80% to 5% while off on a 10 hour flight. A restore fixed that. So I did that and I thought I was good because phone would completely charge, but now I notice phone still decharged overnight while plugged in.

Only issue that I had with ios7 was the notice upon reaching 100% charge that my accessory may not be supported. This popped up regardless if charger and cable were third party or not.

I'm bringing it in to Genius Bar next week. Ironically a day before my warranty expires.

Sep 26, 2014 3:03 PM in response to derbydanx

I was lucky and Apple replaced my iPhone 5s under warranty. 2 more days and it would of expired.

The main issue is the new connectors and their "chips". I always experienced a "This accessory may not be compatible with your device." statement immediately when my iPhone hit 100% charge. This happened with multiple Apple cables and third party cables. So it wasn't the cables but something with the chip in the phone as the Genius Bar employee explained to me.

I bet that iOS 8 reads that error differently and stops the phone from charging. It's just a wild guess on my part but given the same phone gave the error at 100% with iOS 7 but kept the charge at 100% and now, on iOS 8, gave the same error but obviously would then stop charging given my battery would decrease in charge. Tech also checked out my battery and it was Ok.

New phone no longer gives me error at 100% charge and all seems fine.

Seems to be a complicated process just to charge your phone.

Sep 26, 2014 3:23 PM in response to derbydanx

Not exactly. I guess I should of known this but, if your phone is out of warranty you can still pay for a replacement.

My 5s out of warranty replacement would of cost me $269. I did not know that Apple did this. My wife's 5s (I honestly don't know why her phones get so much abuse) has a cracked screen and the camera doesn't focus. It is out of warranty, the Genius Bar employee said just make an appointment and they can repair it or do the replacement. Repairing cost about $210, so probably will just do the out of warranty replacement.

I meant to ask how many previous models they go back to on this program. I hope this is relatively new because I would of done it with another phone.

I know this isn't ideal but it is better than $700 for a new phone.

Sep 26, 2014 3:51 PM in response to derbydanx

That is definitely another solution and the least expensive. The warning was annoying but I quickly got used to it.

I am playing with the Hand Off features of Yosemite and iOS 8...kind of cool. Other than that and answering calls on my iMac there isn't too much to iOS 8 that is a must have. Once SMS messages pop up on Messages on my iMac that's when there is something to talk about. Doesn't seem to work at this point.

Sep 29, 2014 6:54 AM in response to Wunderboy

I experienced the same thing. I have the 5 and have had the same message since the beginning, "This accessory not supported" as soon as it was fully charged. I was told it was just a glitch and to ignore it. As soon as I upgraded to iOS 8, charging problems began and haven't stopped. Also another noticeable difference is it's running much slower. It has a slight delay on just about everything.

Sep 29, 2014 7:33 AM in response to SilverRhoads

Agreed. It was an annoyance in iOS7 but, obviously, isn't something you can "ignore" anymore.

Only thing I really have noticed about speed is that, it appears, in iOS8 that when answering the phone from the lock screen there seems to be more of a delay in shutting off the ringer and being able to speak to the caller after sliding to answer call. At first, I had the phone ringing in my ear after answering a call. Now I wait till the ringer stops.

My wife's 5s is still on iOS7 and I did verify it shuts off the ringer immediately.

Oct 1, 2014 8:17 AM in response to derbydanx

I Read something from an Apple rep that had a procedure to try. Make sure the phone jack is clean and nothing is damaged. Use the original cable for the phone and plug it into the computer, not an outlet, perform a backup and then let it charge. Turn it off while it is still plugged into the computer, then turn it back on again, keeping it plugged into the computer. I turned it off and on twice and it now shows 100%. I just hope it is back to normal.

Oct 9, 2014 10:15 PM in response to derbydanx

I just upgraded my iphone 5s to ios 8.0.2 using itunes on a Windows 7 PC. My phone will now only charge when plugged into a power outlet using the Apple USB cable. Prior to the upgrade I had also been able to charge my phone when the same USB cable was connected to Windows 7 PC. What's up? When will Apple get this update fixed properly? Is there some driver updating needing to be done on the Windows 7 machines to fix the connection issue? Not only do I no longer get power to charge my iphone, I also do not "see" the computer or have the computer "see" the iphone unless itunes is installed. But even with itunes there is no power supplied to the phone. At this point I feel like telling my friends to just go ahead and buy Android phones as Apple does not have its act together. Am I missing something too simple for Apple to bother to include in any reports on how to upgrade to ios 8?

Frustrated and annoyed!

Nov 22, 2014 12:18 PM in response to derbydanx

I have an update. I was still having charging issues. Couldn't get it to charge to 100%. Went to the Apple store and no one could help. They just recommended I get a new phone!

The ONLY way I can get my iphone 5 with OS8 to charge to 100%, is to plug it into the computer, while it's on, then turn it off and let it charge. It gets to 100% EVERY time. If I keep it on, it will not charge. It will not charge in any outlet on or off. This is the only way it's worked for me and I've tried three different cables.

Don't know why these phones have this issue. Maybe what I mentioned above will help some people.

iPhone 5 charging issues with IOS 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.