Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't name group chat in iOS 8

Anyone else not seeing an option to name a group chat? I've brought up the details and swiped down and am not being given an option to name the chat. Does everyone in the group chat have to be an iPhone user?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 21, 2014 7:32 AM

10 replies

Sep 23, 2014 10:28 AM in response to chuck_3rd

As mentioned in my original question "I've brought up the details and swiped down and am not being given an option to name the chat"

Other people are having this issue as well. There's no subject line that appears when I swipe down. Nothing happens. Nothing appears. I'm not new to iPhone so I know how to operate one, I've watched a YT video of someone naming the group chat. For some reason it doesn't work for on my phone. I've tried this on at least 5 group chats that are in my messages.

May 22, 2016 10:32 AM in response to mfaulconumw

Sorry if this doesn't work for you but it did for me. Go under settings>Messages And deselect your IMessage (you may need to conduct a hard reset here) then slide Imessage back on and it should ask you to sign in with your Apple ID after it logs in to IMessage test your ability to rename group chat. Test it with two numbers you know are iPhone and using iMessage, as those previous post do apply. I did find that if you name the group chat before non iOS users are added the group name remains, but create the name firet before adding them

Can't name group chat in iOS 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.