Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with the new iOS 8 "Instant Hotspot" feature

I can’t really get it to work between my iPhone 5S and my iPad Mini Retina.

Continuity works — handoff between applications, call forwarding from iPhone to iPad.

The two devices see each other via Bluetooth and can exchange photos and files.

When I enter the "WiFi" menu on the iPad, I can see the iPhone name among the "Personal hotspots" categories, as well as its battery status and cell coverage.

When I click on it, however, the connection always fails; after twenty seconds or so, I get the error "Unable to turn on Personal Hotspot on <phone name>".

The only way to make it connect is to manually go to the personal hotspot setting screen on the iPhone, as I used to do before iOS 8; this kinda defeats the purpose of the "Instant Hotspot" feature, however 🙂

I already reset the network settings on both devices several times, but to no avail.

Has anyone experienced the same issue?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 21, 2014 8:29 AM

21 replies

Sep 23, 2014 9:49 AM in response to 1oracolo

What worked for me, too, was resetting both the network settings and then the general settings on both devices, while always leaving bluetooth on, as detailed by Giacecco in this other topic: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6542160?answerId=26670517022#26670517022

I know, it sounds a bit like black magic, and I have no idea why this should work; however, it worked 🙂

Sep 30, 2014 6:00 AM in response to 1oracolo

When I first upgraded my iPhone 5 and iPad Air to iOS 8 my iPhone 5 showed up on the iPad in the new "Personal Hotspots" category and worked fine. Later I found it wasn't showing up. I tried cycling wireless on and off, turning the phone and iPad on and off without success. I could still turn on the Personal Hotspot and connect the old way from the wireless network list on the iPad. Yesterday I tried cycling "Ask to Join Networks" on then back off on the iPad. That seemed to do the trick. It worked for about a day then disappeared until I turned wireless off and on on the iPad. The bottom line is that it works randomly.

Oct 9, 2014 5:34 AM in response to dgeens

I think we’re all talking about resetting the network and/or the general settings; restoring from a backup won’t help 🙂

When you restore the phone from a backup, you also restore the old settings. When you only reset the settings, you keep installed apps and other content: you only reset things like ringtones, screen brightness, font size, keyboard preferences… and a bunch of stuff we don’t really have control over but which can impact the issue we’re talking about and many others 🙂

Problems with the new iOS 8 "Instant Hotspot" feature

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.