Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reading iTunes gift card code from computer camera

I have tried the option, when redeeming my gift card, to use the camera to read the given code. It cannot read the code because the camera reads it's image backwards. Thus when it's reading a written code, all the letters are reversed. There is no option to reverse the camera (unless it is hidden somewhere in the System Prefs ?) Why would it do this ?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.5)

Posted on Sep 21, 2014 9:17 AM

3 replies

Sep 21, 2014 9:21 AM in response to xaqari

If your tagline is correct and your Mac is on OS X 10.4.5 then it won't work (and it also depends upon the type of camera on the Mac) - from Redeem iTunes Gift Cards with the camera on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac :

• iTunes Gift Card with a focus box around the redemption code
  • Mac with a FaceTime camera (an Apple Display with FaceTime works too)
  • OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.3 or later
  • Apple ID used with the iTunes Store
  • iTunes 11 or later
  • Internet connection

Nov 11, 2016 4:10 AM in response to xaqari

The camera can be flipped using the camera icon on the screen of the device when you click the camera scan option in iTunes store on iOS

But it still wont read the code.

All my devices open camera in 'selfie mode' with the iTunes Redeem feature (see your own face instead of what you are trying to scan)

Its the same on all three Iphone 5s i have, iPad Mini, 2 iPad Airs

So its not a bug on the device, its every device.

It has been like this for a couple of years, i have complained to apple and reported it various times in their feedback, but they either cant fix it, or as has seemed to become the case lately, they just dont care. If they cant fix it in 2 years, then they probably aren't ever going to fix it

Reading iTunes gift card code from computer camera

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.