Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do you delete a childs (12 yrs) apple ID account.

How can I delete a childs apple ID account that Icreated by mistake when setting up family sharing?

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 21, 2014 1:26 PM

15 replies

Sep 25, 2014 11:49 AM in response to Kilgore-Trout

I have put in a ticket for them to call me. I think I'm just annoyed because I'm a long term apple fanboy and the role out of the family share has went horribly south. Then add to it the health app not working correctly, apple pay not comping out till next month, and now 8.0.1 causing fingerprint scanner and cell service connection issues. It feels like I'm dealing with a crowdfunding 2nd rate location.

But the family share thing really set me off. Even my wife can't download old apps on her family share ID either. Theres only 3 of us, so I know we didn't go over 6. It knows the apps are paid for, but it just wont let us.

Sep 25, 2014 11:37 AM in response to alanjb132

I have the same question. I'm about sick of reading people referring me to sites that have nothing to do with the new child ID's. Primarily becuase it does NOT address the question at hand. That question is "How do you delete a child Apple ID?". I know I've seen that you can not remove adult ones, but apple does not you "can" do it, but doesn't show "how" to do it. In my personal case, I need to delete the one I made and create a new one. This is because having an incorrect child apple ID in my family share takes 1 spot away from my sharing. I need to remove the child ID from my share plan to create a corrected apple ID for her. Their site; http://support.apple.com/kb/HT201081 does the following;

"Children under 13 can't be removed from a family. If you need to, you can transfer the child to another family or delete their apple ID." Now..the phrase "child to another family" is hyperlinked and clearly shows how to do this. But the "delete their apple ID" is NOT hyperlinked. So we continue to search for our original answer that I haven't found since iOS 8 was released and I bought my iphone 6 on release day.

Now on that topic, the family share is messed up HARD for children. Heres why, while I wait to find out how to delete the incorrectly typed apple ID I made, I tested how it works for my 6 y/o, who was very excited to get her own iphone 5 (w/o cell cervice, glorified itouch).

1.) While testing it out with the bad ID, I created the family share as the ogranizer. I then added my wife and made her a Parent/Guardian". Howver, despite this, when the "child" ID requests permission to purchase something in itunes, it only sends it to my wife and not me. This shoudl go to both parents! If you want one or the other, make a setting. Otherwise, if its flagged as an organizer or parent, they should have the power. After all, as the organizer, she was verified as MY child through my credit card but I can't authorize the purchase as the organizer. Do what? Come on!

2.) When my daughter asks to buy something, she has to put in a password. This is simply nuts. My 6 y/o needs to put in a password for PERMISSION to ask her parents to buy something. Of which the parents then authorizes the purchase via either a password or fingerprint scan. What non-parent thought this up? 3.) To update an app on my daughters iphone requires her to request permission for each and every app, despite there being an update all. This means, she has to put the password in on every...single...update...individually. Update all does not work. This means we need to authorize each update too...My God...really?

4.) On the topic of passwords. Again, CHILD account ID. Apple requires passwords to be 8 characters, has to have an upper and lower case, can't be a simple word, has to have a number. I mean..lets sit and think about this. a CHILD with such a complex password needing to be entered each time to update an individual app and ask permisison. If its a child, it means the responsibility should be put on the parent. Have the OS route the request to ME and let me put the password in for my child.

5.) Whats the point of Auto Update? I mean, if I APPROVED these apps to go on my daughters phone, then it should AUTO UPDATE itself! It does not! Really?

6.) How can apple advise in the FAQ's to delet the apple child ID but doesn't hyper link to it? Is someone really that dense? It sure scares the DEATH out of me to try apple PAY! >.<

7.) As I sit here looking at my family share settings, this very second, and I look at my daughters ID in there (the incorrect one I need to fix), there is nice itty bitty language on how to transfer an apple ID and a hyperlink there. This is a GREAT spot for DELETE APPLE ID! You know, I even logged into apples main management Apple ID section...you can't even delete the ID there either.

8.) The WHOLE point of the family share is so you can share up to 6 people. BUT, if you try to download prior purchases on the new account's, you get an error message saying that this was previously purchased BUT you are unable to download it (For what ever reason) on every one. Thank GOD I realized I can manually FORCE the apps onto her phone by pushing it from my desktop computer to hers.

I mean...how can a "high tech" company be so obtuse? If you can't get CHILDREN policy right, how will your Apple Pay policy work out?

Sincerely,

A very disgruntled parent!

Sep 25, 2014 11:47 AM in response to StalkingWolf

The main entry point for Apple Support is here ...

http://www.apple.com/support/

If you want to find out "how" to do something (as you explain) or if you want to find out "if" you can do something ... this is the official place to go.

On the other hand, if you only want to tell Apple they should do something differently and there is a better way of doing things, then the following link is the place to do that ...

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Sep 25, 2014 1:19 PM in response to alanjb132

OK, I have solid update. I finally made it up the chain of command and spoke with a very helpful gentlman. Aaron Cooper iOS Senior Advisor. Naturally this is all new and they are discovering these bugs as they go. This was the first time he ever deleted a child ID and we went through it slowly.

1.) You CAN Delete your child account.

2.) The website doesn't say HOW to and you can NOT do it yourself.

3.) You MUST call apple support to verify you are who you are and you have the authorization to delete the child. ODDLY enough, you can add the child and verify you are the parent by using a credit card. This makes no sense to me that you need to call to delete but not to add.

4.) And I just got my incorrect CHILD apple ID removed by a very helpful apple manager.

I can verify that this DID remove the child from my family share plan in iCloud. So now I can recreate the correct one. On that note, spoke of other Child Apple ID issues and I will be doing a 1 on 1 with him in 48 hours (after ironing out this bug for 45 minuteds and needing to run) and going over the other errors stated above. These child errors can easily be recreated. I'm sure they wil get it fixed.

OH, when you do this. Make SURE you log out of the CHILD apple ID on Find My Iphone. This way it does not get briked. I can not verify if it would, but based on past history with adult ID's being removed on unique cases, it would brike the phones. So if you do this, make sure you log out of Friend Finder on your childs Apple ID account.

Sep 11, 2015 3:31 AM in response to StalkingWolf

Stalkingwolf, thanks for the effort you went trough on this.

I have the exact same problem - made a mistake when I created my child's Apple IDE an d now need to delete it and start over.

I also came to the conclusion that you have to contact Apple directly. I was told it could be done by phone call or email. I live in South Africa and therefor, the verseas call was not an option for me. It's been months now - never received a response on my email.

Do you know of any way to do what you have doen but not with a phonecall?

I've never even added the child's id to an IOS device because I relized immediately that I made a mistake. The only place I can go to manage this erroneous account, is in iCloud or online on iTunes.

To me also, family spots are precious - they have not all been taken yet, but will soon be because I have 6 children (yes, you read right) and only me, my wife and two kids on sharing at this stage - the rest still too young.

Please, is there anybody out there who can really reach out and help me?

Sep 11, 2015 9:23 AM in response to Klipsteen

I am going to set up family sharing and add a child soon. But I don't like how they make you use an icloud.com email account for the child and instead I want to use his primary email address and set that up as an account. So I am thinking:

1. Set up a new Apple ID account with his real email address

Because he is under 13 I will have to adjust his birthday for now

2. Add him as a member of the Family Share
  3. Turn on Ask to Buy for him

My understanding is this will allow me to still approve purchases

Please let me know if my reasoning is sound. Thanks.

how do you delete a childs (12 yrs) apple ID account.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.