Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV, iTunes 12, Remote App, and IOS 8 not pairing, not working since all upgrades

All I wan to do is use airplay and or control apple tv via the remote app.

[I upgraded the OS on apple tv, the iPhones (iPhone 5 and also using a newly minted iPhone 6) to IOS 8, iTunes 11 to iTunes 12, deleted and re-installed the Remote App.]

I am trying to use Airplay, but Airplay is not showing, I guess this is due to the phone not recognizing that the apple tv is on, even though they are all in the same network (yes, I triple checked the are). and even though, it is already connecting (sharing my iTunes) more on that detail later.

So I went to "Remote" app on my phone, and remote is telling me to turn on Home sharing in iTunes. I go to iTunes, and Home Sharing is already on. I go to apple tv and apple tv is telling me to go to iTunes as well to turn on home sharing, even though the apple tv is already connected to my computer as I can see and play the music and even Movies in my computer through the "computer" app in apple tv. But when I go to iTunes (in my computer), and I go to movies, and I see the icon of the Apple tv next to the "sound volume" and try to play a movie from and through my computer to the apple tv, I get this message "An error occurred while connecting to the AirPlay device “Wilson”. An unknown error occurred (-15001).

The remote app has an option to add an iTunes library, and when I try to do this it gives me a 4 digit code, and this information

"To add an iTunes library, open iTunes on your computer and choose Remote from the tab bar."

"To add an apple tv, go to your apple tv and choose settings from the main menu, then choose general >Remote >Remote App. Choose (enter name here) then enter the passcode shown above.

One problem is that there is not such thing as "Remote" from the tab bar. I don't even know which tab bar they are referring to since apple have an assault on the side bar for years now.

There is not prompting you to input the 4 digit passcode. and I have tried pretty much everything.

iPhone 6, iOS 8, MacBook Pro 10.10

Posted on Sep 21, 2014 12:43 PM

28 replies

Jun 5, 2017 10:53 PM in response to wcapellan

Plug your iPhone or iPad into your Mac with iTunes open. Open your Remote App in your device and hit 'Add an iTunes Library' where you will see your 4-digit code. Now click on the icon that appears for your device in iTunes. You will see a Remote Icon below your device. You simply click on the Remote Icon and enter the 4-digit code. You can check if your device has been added by going to iTunes/Preferences/Devices. At the bottom of the page, it should say that iTunes is paired with 1 remote.

User uploaded file

Sep 24, 2014 9:39 PM in response to wcapellan

I am having ALL the same issues!

iMac 27" Late 2010, 3.2 Ghz Core i3, 16GB RAM: MacOS 10.8.5

iTunes 11.4

iPhone 5S: iOS8

Apple Remote App 4.2.1

AppleTV with the latest update from 9-23-14?

However, I can AirPlay Music Videos from my iMac to my AppleTV.

This part was the most frustrating!:

"To add an iTunes library, open iTunes on your computer and choose Remote from the tab bar."

"To add an apple tv, go to your apple tv and choose settings from the main menu, then choose general >Remote >Remote App. Choose (enter name here) then enter the passcode shown above.

One problem is that there is not such thing as "Remote" from the tab bar. I don't even know which tab bar they are referring to since apple have an assault on the side bar for years now.

There is not prompting you to input the 4 digit passcode."

iBelieve this is an Apple Software issue! We should NOT have to be HARD reseting anything.

I am SO ready for iOS 8.0.2!

Please iHelp Us All!

Sep 26, 2014 10:09 AM in response to wcapellan

My Apple remote just started working all by itself, without any resets or upgrades to iOS. Airplay seems to be working as well without any changes. I wonder if there's is is a wirelwas device in my area that causes the wonkiness when it is turned on. I live in an apartment complex with about 30 wireless networks visible to me, so that is definitely a possibility.

Oct 21, 2014 6:56 AM in response to wcapellan

I've just had the same problem trying to add a new iTunes Library using the Remote App, I'm on iOS 8.1 and iTunes 12 on Yosemite. I got the following message on my phone:

It gives me a 4 digit code, and this information

I too couldn't find the Remote option from the tab bar. Eventually I found it, it was hidden by the iPhone symbol at the top left (Right of the 3 dots). I clicked on the Phone icon and a hidden remote icon symbol appeared, once selected, it allowed me to enter the code. I guess it didn't help that I had my iPhone was connected to iTunes at the time. But it did confuse me for a while. Easy when you know how.

Nov 6, 2014 4:17 PM in response to wcapellan

I’ve been researching similar issues for the better part of a week. Bottom line: Cycling power (unplugged for 30 seconds+) on my Airport Extreme (not necessarily my Verizon FIOS broad and router) solved the problem for me.

Here are the issues I was trying to fix (similar to others on the board):

1) Airplay stopped working at some point in recent time. The icon disappeared from my iOS devices when they were in my home network

2) Apple Remote App for IOS stopped working on my iPhone 5 (IOS 8.1) and iPad Air (IOS 7)

As noted by others, my iTunes home sharing continued to work, and I was able to stream music, movies, etc. to my two Generation 2 Apple TVs

Over the last few days, I tried the following:

a) Cycling power on my ActionTec router

b) Upgrading my iPhone to iOS 8

c) Reseting my apple TVs

c) Restoring one of my gen 2 AppleTVs to factory original settings

d) Hard resets on my iOS devices (iPhone, iPad Air)

e) Uninstalling the Remote App from my iPhone and reinstalling it

f) Turning off Home Sharing, and turning it back on again

Most of the reports I found on this board while researching the issue correlated the above loss in functionality with the iOS 8+ upgrade and/or the recent upgrade to iTunes 12. That could be the case for many, but it was not the case for me. Whatever it was, the issue was resolved when (and only when) I cycled power on my Airport Extreme.

I had my airport extreme set to automatic updates, so I’m not sure if/when Apple pushed out an update in the recent pass that caused the functionality to be lost.

Hope this helps!

P.S. Is there any place I can see when Apple last pushed out an update to Airport Extreme?

Nov 9, 2014 12:49 PM in response to wcapellan

Here are my experiences FWIW. At work we use a lot of Gen2 Apple TVs connected via HDMI to projectors or flat panels in all the conference rooms, and we have mostly Macs (mostly MacBook Pros, 2014 vintage, running Mavericks and, increasingly, Yosemite) and Windows 7 laptops running Air Parrot. At home, I have three Gen2 Apple TVs, an Airport Extreme basestation, and Macs with one Win 8 PC on the network. When I find is that the Air Play selections on my MBP will sometimes not reflect what's on the network, for example, I'm at home in the morning before work, I can see my Apple TVs in the Air Play list on the menu bar, I go to work, get a new IP address (completely different subnet, net mask and IP range) and I never see the work Apple TVs, but I still see all my home Apple Vs, which are obviously not on my work network. Sometimes the problem is reversed - I see work Apple TVs when I get home. The only way I found to fix this is to reboot my MBP. Great, now I have degenerated into the Windows solution of fixing problems. I can't seem to come up with a reliable way to reproduce this nor think what might cause it other than a bug in OS X that it doesn't forget the previous set of Apple TVs and discovering new ones when the network changes. Oh - because of all the Apple TV problems at work, several conterence rooms now have a hard lien VGA/DVI cable connected to the flat panel/projector so that we can reliably project our content.

The other Bonjour/iTunes/Apple TV annoyance is that I use iTunes on my MacPro (running Yosemite) to stream music to my Apple TVs and Airport Express basestations; sometimes iTunes will get stuck trying to connect to an Apple TV is is in sleep mode (but connected to power); it's as if the Apple TV is either not waking up when it sees the network ping from iTunes or iTunes on Yosemite has a bug where it won't try to talk to the Apple TV.

I am a very long time Apple user and I have to say that as the years go by, I am getting more frustrated with the lack of quality and reliability in Apple products, especially with technologies that used to be reliable (iTunes, Apple TV, air play, the Remote app on iOS). As much as I like the OS X desktop experience for software development and video/audio editing (my primary uses for my Macs) I am starting to look round at non-Apple solutions for stuff that should just work such as whole house audio streaming.

Apple TV, iTunes 12, Remote App, and IOS 8 not pairing, not working since all upgrades

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.