Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

idvd won't recognize my iMovie mp4

I am trying to use an older idvd program 7.1.2, to convert my mp4 video that I made with iMovie 10.0.5. I shared my iMovie into the 480 mode. The codecs in the info says AAC, H.264. I am trying to make a DVD that I can watch in a DVD player hooked up to a TV. Nothing seems to be working, I even purchased a program to do this and it kept failing. Help.

Brenda

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), '07 Macbook 10.6.8 w/iDVD 7.1.2

Posted on Sep 21, 2014 12:42 PM

16 replies

Sep 21, 2014 1:24 PM in response to Firehawk108

After exporting the 480p movie are you able to add it to the menu window of an iDVD project? Does it play in the iDVD preview mode? Are you able to save the project as a disk image?

Follow this workflow to help assure the best qualty video DVD:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image, launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding is good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

User uploaded file

Sep 21, 2014 2:26 PM in response to Old Toad

I finally got it to add to a "new project" in idvd on my laptop. It did not play in preview mode. I do not know how to save it as a disc image. I never saw this option and cannot find it now. Maybe I am importing it wrong? I have an older iMovie 7.1.4 on the laptop, should I put it in there first?

EDIT to add: imovie 7.1.4 and DVD player do not recognize the mp4 video at all.

Thanks in advance for your help, this video is of my grandpa talking about his time in WWII. He recently passed away and family members are wanting to see it.

Sep 21, 2014 3:15 PM in response to Old Toad

I installed the Quicktime Player 7 on my laptop, the only thing I have with idvd on it, and it would not open or recognize the mp4 video. I thought all this Apple stuff was super compatible and super easy for normal people to use? I bought this fancy iMac to be able to make movies and put them on a DVD for my family. None of this seems comparable or easy. I can't believe I have spent two weeks on this project. Any other ideas? The original video I made on my iMac under iMovie is still in iMovie. The only options it gives me is to share to email, youtube, file, etc.

Sep 22, 2014 8:13 AM in response to Firehawk108

The laptop is running 10.6.8 right and that's where the files won't play. Have you tried creating the video on the laptop and using the file created by iMovie there?

Ask in the iMovie forum about Mavericks movies and compatibility with 10.6.8.

Have you thought about creating the iDVD project on the iMac, save it as a disk image, transfer the disk image to the laptop for burning with Disk Utility?

Sep 23, 2014 2:32 PM in response to Firehawk108

I figured out how to make idvd work on my iMac. Only took two weeks! Now I am working thru the idvd process and trying to get my "too big" file to work. If it isn't one thing, it's another.....

The size of the file doesn't matter. It's all about time. To use a single layer DVD your movie can only be 2 hours long. If you use a double layer DVD, (no big deal), you can go about 4 hours long.

I thought all this Apple stuff was super compatible and super easy for normal people to use?

Making DVDs has gotten harder in recent years. ( But MANY are doing it. ) Many companies, (Apple included) are trying to force customers to move away from the physical possession of movies. Convenient for them when selling movies, but less convenient for consumers.

The point is, it will take a little more work to establishing a workflow. I would suggest using iMovie 06 or iMovie 11. I would not use the latest iMovie because it does not have the ability to create chapter markers.

Apple is no longer marketing iDVD. However, they do test their operating system for iDVD compatibility because it remains very popular.

Please stick with your project. Many people are here to help you. We want you to succeed.

Sep 24, 2014 8:56 AM in response to Firehawk108

I am all agreed with Ziatron!

I personally still work in iMovie'11.

iMovie '11 (v9) : shares and/or exports to m4v-file (iTunes) or QT (I never use that)

iMovie '13/14 (v10) : shares to iTunes etc. but also saved as a file (it will be mp4) (I personally do not work in that program!)

I use a purchased converter 'Wondershare Videoconverter Ultimate 1.6.2' (Yes that's an older version, I never use the new upgrade!)

I burn a long time iDvds. But sometime they give problems!!

But I always say... NEVER GIVE UP! and I usually convert my files and try again and win.

Today... I also got problems:

First time I wanted to burn a dvd I got an codec-error! (Like you Brenda!)

So I tried to convert the files and tried again... same error.

Then I thought, if I convert again but different...:

So I converted to Mp4 files of 1280x720 at H.264 Normal codec, instead of HD.

... and yes... it worked: dvd burned successfully in 33 minutes. (Highest Q, 75 minutes disc)

Another matter is: keep your workflow correct and keep your unwritten dvd-discs clean. I even once purchased an inferior Sony-spindel!! (but that'll be 'disc-errors').

I know it's all frustrating matter for you Brenda, if things don't work well or even systems do not compare right like Apple use to tell us, it's not about iMovie, it's all about we all have to do by 'clouding' instead 'fooling around with idvds'. I can understand that's the policy against piratery but most people just want to make (family) discs for their own use!!

So fixing idvds is becoming a delicate matter today...

But Never give up, Brenda, finally you'll find the eureka! With or without help of these forums.

Oct 8, 2014 4:35 AM in response to Firehawk108

I had this same trouble, but also realised I was being too impatient. I had tried to "Share" an iMovie project into iDVD but noticed the option is no longer there.

I recently upgrade to Mavericks on a MacBook Pro (2011). I'm using iMovie 10.0.5 & iDVD 7.1.2.

I opted to "Share to File". The file actually took a while to transfer properly to its destination. After me getting cranky and getting the "I don't recognise the file format" errors, I did it again and walked away. Eventually the "File Share Successful" message came up. It took maybe around 10mins for a 2.4GB file.

In iDVD, I began a new project, the selected File -> Import, then found my iMovie mp4 file and imported it and it worked.

I too still like to create family movies on a DVD. I live in an area where I pay $100 / month for 15GB of wireless internet. It is my only option so I'm not going to be doing massive file sharing of anything.

I hope this helps someone!

Nov 20, 2014 10:32 AM in response to Firehawk108

I don't know if this answers your question directly - I was having the same issue - iDVD would not recognize the File Format created on my desktop from iMovie - .Mp4

I tried all kinds of things - and ended up going to iDVD - File - Create one Step Idvd - and it saw the file and created the DVD.

Not with all the bells and whistles - But got out what I needed.

When I have Time - Going to Revert my Laptop OFF Mavericks - Nothing But Issues since I upgraded.

Dec 18, 2014 7:32 AM in response to Firehawk108

I was having the same problem and have just found a solution.

I made my movie in iMovie 10.0.6, exported it as a large file - the mp4 I got was playable by quicktime, VLC iTunes etc but iDVD would not allow me to import it.

I changed the file extension to .m4v rather than .mp4 and all of a sudden no problem - it went straight into iDVD and burnt successfully. Viola!

idvd won't recognize my iMovie mp4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.