Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting all photos from iPhone 6?

I have iphone 6 need to delete ALL photos from it. How do I do that?

I have cleaned up my photos on my MAcBook Air and want to reload them to iPhone 6. Trashed a lot of photos.

Kathy

MacBook Air, iOS 6.1.2, Apple TV

Posted on Sep 21, 2014 1:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2015 2:54 PM

I think they got rid of the DELETE button ... am I wrong?

27 replies

Sep 21, 2014 1:41 PM in response to sskipwith

This worked only on photos that I had taken on iPhone . I need to delete ALL photos that I synced to iPhone yesterday from Mac….. Any more suggestions. Thanks for telling me about Image Capture .

i tried to connect to Mac and go to iPhone and delete could not find a way…..

Sure it is something simple, always is…..

Oct 4, 2014 11:29 AM in response to kgjw

I'm having the same issue. I tried using IPhoto but had no luck, I think seen as the IPhone isn't using Camera Roll anymore none of the Mac OS Applications are recognizing my photos. I even tried plugging in my IPhone 6 to my Windows Desktop in hopes that you could delete photos manually from the connected device but none of the photos would display - simply an empty DCIM folder.

Please let me know if you find anything!

Nov 9, 2014 3:18 PM in response to kgjw

I had a similar issue.

On iOS 8+ if you sync with iCloud, your Mac or other external source than the trick with Image Capture will not work. I had over 2,000 photos on my brand new iPhone 6+ sync'd with my Mac and in Image Capture there with exactly zero images that showed up. I unchecked the sync option in iTunes for photos, tried to sync with iCloud, etc. The phone was not letting me manually deleted the images (which would have taken days anyhow). Nothing worked, the photos were stuck.

The WORKING solution was to create an empty folder (I made one named TEMP on my MacBook desktop). Plug your iPhone in to your laptop and launch iTunes. Select your device and go to Photos. Click the check box to Sync photos from and in the dropdown select Choose Folder and select your empty temp folder. Apply and sync. This instantly erased every picture I had on the iPhone.

Since I am not a fan of the Moments or Albums view Apple uses for iCloud/iPhoto sync, I created a local folder named Photos and then created individual folders inside of there (do not go more than 1 deep) and sorted my picture manually. The sub-folders are things like, "Cars", "People", "Beer" or whatever - and when you sync with your iPhone it keeps these folders to sort how you want them sorted - not how Apple likes them (by geotag or date).

If this trick works for you, please pass it on to someone that has the same problem. If it doesn't work for you, sorry...try Google...but please don't let me know as I am not affiliated with Apple in any way and will probably never check this thread again in my lifetime.

May 29, 2015 3:40 PM in response to ishadoe

ishadoeNov 7, 2014 12:37 AM Re: Deleting all photos from iPhone 6?
Re: Deleting all photos from iPhone 6?in response to kgjw

Image capture works. Select all photos and click on the red (no smoking sign) button to delete from iPhone.

User uploaded file

Thank you Ishadoe ! Finally someone who suggested something that works ! Much appreciate it.

Why in the world would anyone create such a stupid icon.

Jun 4, 2015 9:06 PM in response to kgjw

Connect your phone to your Mac and open iTunes. In iTunes, Click on the iPhone icon, scroll down to Photos in settings. Deselect the Sync Photos check box. A message saying 'iTunes will no longer sync photos to the iPhone. Do you want to keep or remove photos previously synced to your iPhone?'. You will get the option of Keep Photos or Remove Photos. Remove Photos will delete all those previously synced from your Mac.

You can then reselect the Sync Photos check box and apply to reload any photographs/albums from your library as required. Worked for me so hope this helps.

Jul 12, 2015 2:11 PM in response to jabrueckner

Yes. I sympathise. Can't delete. I found out the hard way. I was unable to take photos of my daughter's school play because I could not work out how to delete on my iPhone 6. I am still unable to work it out. Despairing. Completely confused by the suggestions. Design of this product is completely faulty in this (and many other) respects. Why are users being treated so badly?

Sep 9, 2015 1:02 PM in response to Upstate_Chris

I have a PC. I use "Import Photos and Videos" from Windows Live Photo Gallery, and I select "Delete after import" and that has usually worked.

Today, it somehow "missed" deleting 670 photos I imported. The solution is similar to Chris', create a new (temporary) import destination and try again. The second time it imported all photos to the new folder and deleted them from the iPhone 6. Saved me HOURS of deleting manually by selecting one at a time....

Deleting all photos from iPhone 6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.