Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 7 BSOD when restoring iphone 6 with iTunes

I Got my iPhone 6 and used it for a day before connecting it to my computer to restore from backup from my iPhone 5c. The initial restore process went well, but when it started to sync music and apps after it restored, I got a blue screen of death. I'm running windows 7 pro and using outlook to sync contacts and calendars. The contacts and calendars worked, but whenever the computer restarts to attempt to sync apps and music, I get the BSOD. It happened at least 4 times. I have a call scheduled with apple support tomorrow, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

iPhone 6, iOS 8, Windows 7 pro

Posted on Sep 21, 2014 3:07 PM

3 replies

Sep 23, 2014 8:57 AM in response to kingdealio

I FIGURED IT OUT!! WITH NO HELP FROM APPLE!! Yes, the guy that posted the issue found a work-around. So, mikebeachnd, and the 5 other people that have the same question, I hope this work-around satisfies your configuration and syncing needs.

My problem was restoring a new iphone 6 from a 5c backup file. Whenever I did that, my computer would blue screen. So instead of restoring from backup, I set up the phone as a new phone. When I did that, I was able to get music over to the phone and the computer wouldn't blue screen. But then, my Outlook contacts and calendars wouldn't sync. I was on the phone with Apple support trying to get Outlook to sync, but nothing they did helped. Setting up the phone as a new phone doesn't bring any apps over automatically. You have to download them manually. There were a couple apps I had to transfer information over manually, but I'm fine doing that to make the phone work.

Back to syncing Outlook contacts and calendar: I was about to call Apple back with my support ticket, and right before I did that, an install window popped up on my computer asking if I want to download iCloud Desktop Manager. It says it will sync contacts, calendars, photos, and iCloud drive across devices and your desktop. I thought, "WHY NOT!" So I ran that program, it connected to Outlook, and I made sure to turn on iCloud on my phone. My calendar items instantly showed up on my phone.

For the contacts, Outlook wouldn't sync my contacts with iCloud. So I went to my 5c (I haven't mailed it back yet to T-Mobile). I turned on iCloud and selected contacts to be synced. When I did that, all of my contacts showed up on my new phone. The process was so easy and I had to ask myself - WHY DIDN'T ANY APPLE SUPPORT REP SUGGEST THAT AS A SOLUTION?!?!?! AND MY PHONE DOESN'T EVEN HAVE TO BE CONNECTED TO MY COMPUTER TO SYNC!!!

Sorry for the caps. A few things to keep in mind: The iCloud desktop manager creates calendar and contact tabs in Outlook. If you want to make sure a new calendar item shows up on your phone, click the iCloud calendar tab to add the item. You can also click on the normal tab (that has your e-mail in the name of the tab), double-click a calendar item, then a button will appear at the top/right of the calendar item window that asks if you want to send that calendar item to iCloud. Clicking that will make that item show up on your phone if it didn't before.

The same thing goes for Contacts. In Outlook Contacts tab, you have "My Contacts" and underneath that you'll see "iCloud Contacts." To make a contact show up on your phone, you need to click iCloud Contacts and add or update a contact to make that change happen on your phone.

One last thing, If you have all of your iDevices in your home on iCloud, all of these contacts and calendar items will show up on other iPads/iPhones/ and iPods. If those devices belong to your spouse or children, you can go into that app and deselect iCloud calendar and contacts so that all of your items don't show up on their device. Alternatively, if you'd prefer your spouse to know what your schedule is, you can leave the calendar items on her phone/iPad.

For those that just have 1 device and you're trying to restore from back up and are getting the BSOD, and you've already wiped all the info and notes from your phone, I don't think this work-around will satisfy you. You can set up as a new phone, but you'll have lost all of your notes and any stored content of apps that keep info solely on the device. But if you can manage without getting that info back, then just set up as a new phone.

I hope this helped someone out there! And Apple, I would like some SWAG for figuring this out on my own.

KEEP ON KEEPIN' ON!!!!

(now that I think about it, I hadn't updated my 5c to iOS8, and I was using the 5c backup to restore my 6 which doesn't work with less than iOS8. Maybe if I had upgraded my 5c to iOS8, then backed it up, then restored my 6 with that file, it may have worked. Hmmm).

Windows 7 BSOD when restoring iphone 6 with iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.