Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 Plus Screen Orientation Sticks

I have an iPhone 6 Plus, 64GB. I am having the followign issue:

My screen will either get stuck in landscape or upside down. Yes, I said upside down. There are times I will unlock the the phone and when the home screen comes up, everything is upside down, just like an iPad would be when you turn it around. Even when I spin the phone around, trying to get it to turn the screen, it won't rotate the icons. I hit the power button, and unlock it again, but it doesn't always fix it. Last time it was stuck, I had to power the phone off and back on before it would work right again.

I have checked the orientation lock button, and it is not activate.

I have checked to see if my screen is regular or zoom and it is set to regular.

Anyone else seeing this? I wonder if it is a bug with hardware that controls orientation?

Posted on Sep 21, 2014 7:29 PM

140 replies

Jun 28, 2018 9:35 PM in response to kscableguy

Same issue with iPhone 6 Plus 128GB. I opened Compass and calibrated it. That was 5 minutes ago, and that seems to have fixed it for now. After reading posts all over the Internet, I'm not confident it will stay fixed. It seems a variety of things reset it, but don't fix it permanently.

Sep 22, 2014 12:17 AM in response to kscableguy

I Have the same issue with both my IPhone 5s and my iPad air since the update to IOS 8. the issue happens regardless of application but when I am in landscape mode and I either A: turn my screen off with my power button while landscaped or B: when my screen times out while landscaped. i believe it is a glitch in 8 with the gyro meter as if I turn the device as if I was going to landscape (sometimes with a little shake) and reorient the device it goes back to normal. Hope this helps not having to soft/hard reset every time.

Sep 22, 2014 2:17 PM in response to kscableguy

I just got a 6 Plus and I'm having similar issues. If I put the phone to sleep in portrait mode and then wake up the phone in landscape mode, the icons on the screen rotate but the app is in portrait mode. I have experienced this on Safari and Messages as well as 3rd party apps. I have to put the phone into portrait and then back in landscape to fix the orientation.

Sep 25, 2014 5:30 PM in response to kscableguy

This is very frustrating, the iPhone 6 Plus gets stuck in weird orientation. Specially when you want to do something important.

Went to the Apple Store, The Support Person said we can only see you if you have an appointment. So now I have to wait 5 days before my appointment.

So asked him if I can do something in between and answer was (have you tried resetting it, I said yes) and then nothing.

Fingers crossed, hope Apple fixes this issue soon.

This weird orientation behaviour is very frustrating.

Sep 26, 2014 11:14 PM in response to kscableguy

Same issue... Really annoying... It gets stuck while im trying to do somthing important , i almost smashed the phone to the ground out of frustration and then i remember i paied over a 1000 bux for it.... who wants to open the phone to find the screen upside down and when u try to fix it back it doesnt go then u have to press the sleep/wake twice again.... Not cool

Sep 27, 2014 9:21 AM in response to raymondfromnorman

It's not a hardware problem so far as I am concerned. Hardware problem would indicate that the accelerometers are "sticking" and making the phone think it's actually upside down.

The weird thing is - on mine, when this happens, the springboard screen is completely upside down upon unlock. If I continue to hold the phone right side up and I open any apps - they will correctly launch in the home button-down orientation. Once I leave said app, springboard is still upside down.

If it were an accelerometer (hardware) issue - then the apps would also load in the incorrect (upside down) orientation. It simply is a bug with Springboard and I have no idea how to reproduce it - but I can say that it seems to randomly just decide to wake from sleep upside down.

For me - the only way to "resolve" the issue is to restart the phone by either powering off and back on, or by holding both buttons until I see the apple icon (warm reboot).

For clarity - I am using a 128GB 6+

iPhone 6 Plus Screen Orientation Sticks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.