Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Occasionally iPhone 6 won't rotate

Hi Everyone,

Every once in a while, my iPhone 6 refuses to rotate the screen. Usually it's after capturing or viewing a slomo movie, though I haven't been able to reproduce it.

Symptoms: the iPhone refuses to rotate the display in Photos/Safari/etc; it's stuck in one orientation or another.

Toggling orientation lock makes no difference. The only thing that fixes it is a restart.

Has anyone else seen this?

iPhone 6, iOS 8, 64gb, verizon.

Posted on Sep 21, 2014 7:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 12:00 PM

I've had this issue when receiving a notification in both Mail and Alien Blue. I am viewing in portrait when a notification comes in and the phone switches to landscape mode. Curiously, holding the phone in portrait and activating the rotation lock will stick it back in portrait. Turning off the rotation lock will switch it back to landscape, not matter which way the phone is turned. Opening multitasking and force-closing/reopening the app seems to fix it.

93 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2014 12:00 PM in response to mannyvel

I've had this issue when receiving a notification in both Mail and Alien Blue. I am viewing in portrait when a notification comes in and the phone switches to landscape mode. Curiously, holding the phone in portrait and activating the rotation lock will stick it back in portrait. Turning off the rotation lock will switch it back to landscape, not matter which way the phone is turned. Opening multitasking and force-closing/reopening the app seems to fix it.

Sep 22, 2014 2:27 PM in response to mannyvel

Yep - definitely have the same issue..

Screen orientation would not adjust accordingly when physically moving screen between landscape/portrait.

This is with apps that ARE supposed to do so - such as email, photos, web browsers... affects all.

In my case I toggled the View settings from Standard > Zoomed > Standard, and it seemed to reset itself for now.

iPhone 6, 64Gb, iOS8 (of course)

Apple - Can we get a patch for this please??? Seems like a common issue to me... 😟

Sep 22, 2014 5:39 PM in response to mannyvel

I'm having the same issue. No matter what I do, the phone refuses to rotate. I Thought I was going crazy, had turned on rotation lock, but no -- it seems to happen when a notification comes in, and I go to rotate the phone at the same time. To fix: If I wait 5-10 minutes, the phone will then begin to register the rotation again, and go to landscape. Otherwise, a full restart is the only other fix.

Sep 23, 2014 7:10 PM in response to mannyvel

I have a Verizon 6 Plus, and am experiencing the same issue. Mine seems to happen even without getting a notification or opening an app, however. Waiting 5-10 minutes seems to do the trick, but that's not so practical. I'm hoping that this is a software issue and not a hardware issue; I just got this thing yesterday and I'm not too keen on exchanging it already :/

Sep 26, 2014 1:51 PM in response to mannyvel

I've noticed a similar problem but mine seems more persistent in that my iPhone 6 appears to be stuck in portrait mode and nothing that I've done has changed it. I've restarted the phone, closed all Apps and turned the orientation lock on and off several times and yet still nothing.

I'd previously loaded iOS 8.0.1 on Wednesday and I lost cellular connectivity and the use of the Touch ID sensor. I ended up having to travel to the Apple store and have them reload iOS 8.0 because it wouldn't work from PC.

Does anyone have any suggestions that they believe might correct this deficiency?

Sep 27, 2014 11:20 AM in response to mannyvel

Like so many others, I'm experiencing the exact same issue. It's periodic, and I can't seem to pinpoint this happens most often after. Occasionally, rotating the phone upside down and that temporarily fixes the problem, and other times nothing other than a complete restart helps. I've reported this bug to Apple via http://www.apple.com/feedback and encourage everyone to do the same. The more people that report this problem, the quicker it will [likely] be resolved.

Sep 27, 2014 11:33 AM in response to Ralffers

We've been to the Verizon store to shop and learn about the iP6 and the guy assigned to help us told us that the 6-Plus had the rotate pics feature but the regular 6 did not. I had a hunch he was either clueless or trying to upsell us the 6 Plus through devious tactics, so we came home without ordering, and so we could take time for more research...anyway we are going to order ours hopefully today and maybe by the time we get them that bug will be squashed.

Occasionally iPhone 6 won't rotate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.