Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What should I get for a used MacBook? I want to join a coding school and macs are required, but I'm a PC guy. The Mac has to have 4gb memory and must be capable of running OS 10.7. What is the least expensive model I could get?

i need to get a used MacBook for a coding school. It has to have 4gb memory and must be able to run OS 10.7. What is the least expensive model I can get?

iPhone 5c, iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Sep 21, 2014 8:25 PM

3 replies

Sep 30, 2014 8:13 AM in response to Dtarvin

If you're in an area that has Craig's list or something similar, I've found that to be a good source of cheap older MacBooks.

10.7 is Lion and the minimum requirements are here:

System requirements for OS X Lion and Mac OS X v10.6

"OS X Lion system requirements

To use Lion, make sure your computer has the following:

• An Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor
  • Mac OS X v10.6.6 or later to install via the Mac App Store (v10.6.8 recommended); you can install without Mac OS X v10.6 by using an OS X Lion USB Thumb Drive, available on the Apple Online Store
  • 7 GB of available disk space
  • 2 GB of RAM"

So just about any Intel Mac except the Core Solos and the Core Duos

This site is a good resource for which machines are compatible with Lion:

http://lowendmac.com/macbookpro/macbook-index.html

What should I get for a used MacBook? I want to join a coding school and macs are required, but I'm a PC guy. The Mac has to have 4gb memory and must be capable of running OS 10.7. What is the least expensive model I could get?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.