Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

spotlight only searching by filename in 10.9.5 ??

User uploaded file

Ever since I updated to Mavericks 10.9.5, the search behaviour has changed.

Whatever I search for only suggests that I can search by filename. After a search completes, there's no option to re-filter, or change the filters.

I can't search "in" files. I create a new text file called "bob.txt" and open it up and put the word "banana" in it. Now, in finder, I type in "banana" in the search. It finds NO files.

I can't search for files between one date and another.

I can't search for files of a particular type, e.g. "png"

I can't seem to refine an existing search anymore.

I've done a disk repair permissions. I've done all the various stupid-finger-combo pram resets.

What do I have to do to make this critical feature work again?

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Sep 21, 2014 11:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 2:01 AM

In System Preferences > Spotlight > Search Results, check the boxes of the categories that you want search results (e.g. Documents, Images, etc.). The order here, in which these categories appear, will be the search results order in Spotlight. When done, switch to the Privacy tab. Drag and drop your boot drive icon into the open, striped well. Wait a couple of seconds, then select it, and press the negative button below to remove it. This causes Spotlight to reindex your hard drive to allow for the categories above that you selected. Probably less than an hour.

Here is a Mac Basics: Spotlight Article.

How to search with Spotlight more effectively - Super User

Create good queries in Spotlight - Macworld

Terminal

File Metadata Attributes Reference: Spotlight Metadata Attributes

File Metadata Search Programming Guide: File Metadata Query Expression Syntax

The Power of mdfind

Terminal Tips: creating a Spotlight-based gallery

Is it possible to search Spotlight for an absence of an attribute in a file?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2014 2:01 AM in response to Tim St.Clair

In System Preferences > Spotlight > Search Results, check the boxes of the categories that you want search results (e.g. Documents, Images, etc.). The order here, in which these categories appear, will be the search results order in Spotlight. When done, switch to the Privacy tab. Drag and drop your boot drive icon into the open, striped well. Wait a couple of seconds, then select it, and press the negative button below to remove it. This causes Spotlight to reindex your hard drive to allow for the categories above that you selected. Probably less than an hour.

Here is a Mac Basics: Spotlight Article.

How to search with Spotlight more effectively - Super User

Create good queries in Spotlight - Macworld

Terminal

File Metadata Attributes Reference: Spotlight Metadata Attributes

File Metadata Search Programming Guide: File Metadata Query Expression Syntax

The Power of mdfind

Terminal Tips: creating a Spotlight-based gallery

Is it possible to search Spotlight for an absence of an attribute in a file?

spotlight only searching by filename in 10.9.5 ??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.