Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes could not sync contacts / calendar to the iphone "---" because the sync server failed to sync the iphone

itunes could not sync contacts / calendar to the iphone "---" because the sync server failed to sync the iphone

i have read just about every support entry to this so PLEASE don't respond unless you've read the scenario.

win8.1

itunes 11.4

iphone 4 (last of the os7.1.2) (os8 won't work on the 4)

outlook 2010 (up to date)

so until either thursday or friday, syncing via itunes has been great. then i start getting the error dialogue box. this is what i've done / tried:

changed the USB cable

reset sync history - (done all the various steps of reset / delete / restart / unplug etc.)

deleted backup

repaired all apple related programs in the control panel>programs and features

saved outlook contacts and calendar as a new .pst

created a new user

unchecked advance option in INFO in itunes (that whole scenario did nothing)

signed up with icloud and it worked BUT i LOATHE icloud (and all the hassles it presents) and the bottom line sync with itunes 'should' work.

i have checked all errors within contacts (none i only have 170)

uninstalled / reinstall of itunes

i have NOT done a restore of iphone. (last resort) and hoping that there would be a solution before going there.

so there you have it. any suggestions would be really appreciated.

iPhone 4, Windows 8, outlook 2010

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 3:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 9:19 AM

I have the same problem.

Win 7 (64 bit), Itunes 11.4, Iphone 5, IOS 8.

Since I have upgraded my Iphone to IOS 8, while I syncing my device (both on Wifi or cable), I keep getting the following message:

"Itunes could not sync calendars to [my] Iphone because the sync server failed to snc the Iphone".

I don't have any problem with syncing my Ipad 2 ( which was also upgraded to IOS 8), neither had I any problem syncing my Iphone 5 before IOS 8 upgrade.

So it's quite clear that the problem has to do with the IOS 8 upgrade, which somehow broke the connection between the device and the sync server.

Any idea how to fix it?

Thanks.

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2014 9:19 AM in response to jdubz

I have the same problem.

Win 7 (64 bit), Itunes 11.4, Iphone 5, IOS 8.

Since I have upgraded my Iphone to IOS 8, while I syncing my device (both on Wifi or cable), I keep getting the following message:

"Itunes could not sync calendars to [my] Iphone because the sync server failed to snc the Iphone".

I don't have any problem with syncing my Ipad 2 ( which was also upgraded to IOS 8), neither had I any problem syncing my Iphone 5 before IOS 8 upgrade.

So it's quite clear that the problem has to do with the IOS 8 upgrade, which somehow broke the connection between the device and the sync server.

Any idea how to fix it?

Thanks.

Sep 22, 2014 10:21 AM in response to jdubz

I didn't have any problem with OS7. Trouble begun only after upgrading my Iphone 5 to OS8 and Itunes to 11.4.

Again - I have no problems with syncing my Ipad 2: calender, bookmarks and notes sync smoothly.

The message appear - and calendar, bookmarks and noted don't sync - only when syncing my Iphone 5.

I hope it's clear now.

Sep 24, 2014 5:10 PM in response to jdubz

FINALLY - this fixed it.

be sure to restart WITHOUT the iphone attached to be able to rename (which re-creates a new SyncServices folder) the SyncServices folder...

Rename the SyncServices folder.

• Disconnect any iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
  • Restart the computer.
  • To rename the SyncServices folder:

Windows Vista and Windows 7 or Windows 8 : SyncServices is stored in a hidden folder named AppData. The location is \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\

Note: To quickly access the AppData folder, click Start, and then in the search bar type %appdata% and press the Return key.

then connect iphone, open itunes / go to INFO and tick the boxes for contacts and calendars and then in ADVANCE click replace contacts and calendar.

i can sleep now.

Oct 20, 2014 6:53 AM in response to r6089803

Wait a minute! iTunes 12.0.1 CAUSED the problem.

here is the sequence: Apple signaled new iTunes available, I agree to download. on the download page I see the size of the download. as I was on a very slow connection, I clicked quit. then **** broke loose.

1) the laptop crashed, then got back

2) then the iPhone refused to sync cause "corrupted backup or incompatible"

3) I presumed that iTunes 12 would solve the problem, downloaded it but still no sync

4) I discovered that the name of my iPhone was changed to simply "iPhone", in iTunes and in the phone !?

5) I discovered that a backup was made just before the crash under the new name

6) I deleted the recent backups to eliminate the corrupted one

7) I ran the iTunes diagnosis on connectivity and sync that mentioned "no problem"

8) I tried in vain to sync 4x

9) I found jdubz post here and it worked

10) I lost 8 hours on this and am pretty p...off

11) I postpone to change to iPhone 6, as for me: "no sync = no use"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.