Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes not syncing new library to iDevices: Not enough memory

About 2 weeks ago, my iTunes library reset itself entirely after I updated iTunes for my Windows 7 PC to 11.4.0.18. This isn’t the first time it’s happened after updating, but normally closing and re-opening iTunes gets it back. No such luck this time much to my annoyance, but I have a back up from about 2 months ago which I’ve brought back to its correct set up. However, iTunes views this as an entirely new playlist.

Background cause aside, I am now having a problem with syncing my 32 GB iPhone, and my 32 GB iPod Touch with my library. The following problem occurs for both of them in the exact same manner. My iPhone 4 currently says in the summary from iTunes that I have:

• 11.97 GB Music
  • 5.67 GB Photos
  • 3.33 GB Apps
  • 0.27 GB Documents
  • 2.33 GB Other
  • 4.74 GB Free

My iTunes music is now 12.11 GB. I try syncing, and I have 8.30 GB of memory too much I’m trying to sync, and it’s cancelled. So from the above data, it is clear that my old songs are not being deleted, and so it thinks that there is not enough space when all it has to do is delete all the old songs and re-import them all again.

I’ve followed all the instructions on this page (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1503), short of restoring my iPhone. I do not want to lose my plethora of photos, nor do I wish to update my OS (7.0.6), for preference reasons.

I’ve told it to only sync 56 songs from 1 playlist, and iTunes displayed that it had deleted my entire audio section. However, the music files were still all on my iPhone, and I could listen and view all of them. I turned off my iPhone, turned it back on, tried re-syncing the music and once again I had 8.30 GB too much of music to sync it, so it was aborted.

How can I fix this?

iPhone 4, iOS 7.0.6, iTunes 11.4.0.18

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 5:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 7:50 AM

You could try restoring your previous library in the manner shown inEmpty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash. That might resolve the apparent capacity problem, although personally I've found that once iTunes gets confused the only real solution is to back up the device, restore as new, then restore the backup. Obviously that isn't what you want if you want to continue using an older build of iOS 7. As I understand it your iPhone 4 would be restored to iOS 7.1.2 if you choose to restore it.

tt2

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2014 7:50 AM in response to Mad Man Matt

You could try restoring your previous library in the manner shown inEmpty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash. That might resolve the apparent capacity problem, although personally I've found that once iTunes gets confused the only real solution is to back up the device, restore as new, then restore the backup. Obviously that isn't what you want if you want to continue using an older build of iOS 7. As I understand it your iPhone 4 would be restored to iOS 7.1.2 if you choose to restore it.

tt2

iTunes not syncing new library to iDevices: Not enough memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.