Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I believed the ios 8 wave thing and put my iphone 5s in the microwave thinking it would charge and after 2 seconds i stoped it, now my iphone only connects to public wifi areas but it wont find my home wifi or any of my friends home wifi whats wrong

I really feel stupid for doing that i just want to know why i can connect to wifi at places like target best buy and malls but not at home, i reset my router and my phone network settings and nothing is working. So please tell me whats wrong with it and how i can fix this problem please

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 5:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 5:43 AM

The iPhone, like all cell phones, uses the microwave bands to communicate, plus the WiFi uses the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands (also in the microwave spectrum). Microwaving a communication device overloads and destroys the logic board, can damage the battery, among other issues.

That iPhone is no longer usable. Take it to an Apple store genius bar for an out-of-warranty replacement, in the US $269.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2014 5:43 AM in response to braxtonshae

The iPhone, like all cell phones, uses the microwave bands to communicate, plus the WiFi uses the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands (also in the microwave spectrum). Microwaving a communication device overloads and destroys the logic board, can damage the battery, among other issues.

That iPhone is no longer usable. Take it to an Apple store genius bar for an out-of-warranty replacement, in the US $269.

Sep 22, 2014 6:30 AM in response to braxtonshae

braxtonshae wrote:

I really feel stupid for doing that i just want to know why i can connect to wifi at places like target best buy and malls but not at home, i reset my router and my phone network settings and nothing is working. So please tell me whats wrong with it and how i can fix this problem please

What's wrong with it? You put METAL into a MICROWAVE. Where did you see this 'iOS Wave' feature? Was it on the Apple website? Nope.

Unless you're simply trolling (which is the most likely case), you need to go to an Apple store and hope they don't classify it as Beyond Economical Repair.

Sep 24, 2014 11:44 AM in response to TJBUSMC1973

To answer your actual question and not lecture or judge, it is because the stores are probably on 5.0 ghz wifi and your home is probably 2.4 ghz. If you want to try keeping your phone, switch you home router over to 5.0 ghz and see if that fixes it. There is probably a whole lot else that is wrong with the phone. Please let me know if the wifi ghz fixed it cause I am only theorizing and would like follow up.

I believed the ios 8 wave thing and put my iphone 5s in the microwave thinking it would charge and after 2 seconds i stoped it, now my iphone only connects to public wifi areas but it wont find my home wifi or any of my friends home wifi whats wrong

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.