Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get ringtones onto new iPhone 6

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

I got the new iPhone 6 on Friday (yay!). But... for some reason, I can't get my personalized ringtones off of iTunes and onto my phone. I was on the phone with tech support yesterday and they pretty much said it can't be done. But I don't really think he knew. Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part. But... I created my own ringtones. They are psychically on my computer and do show up under "Tones" in iTunes. They are m4r files that worked fine on my iPhone 4S. So... why can't I get them onto my new phone? Does anyone else have an issue with this? Any suggestions? Thanks so much.

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 8:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 12:07 PM

So I figured it out myself. I had not checked "Manually manage music and videos." And when I did, it gave a scary message about erasing my entire phone! But I called tech support again, and they said that it only erases all the music and videos (I had none on there yet). So that enabled me to just drag my ringtones on to the iPhone. And they work just fine.

49 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2014 12:07 PM in response to DigitalChickster

So I figured it out myself. I had not checked "Manually manage music and videos." And when I did, it gave a scary message about erasing my entire phone! But I called tech support again, and they said that it only erases all the music and videos (I had none on there yet). So that enabled me to just drag my ringtones on to the iPhone. And they work just fine.

Oct 11, 2014 8:04 PM in response to DigitalChickster

OMG I have the same problem! I'm originally an Android user, and decided to switch to the iPhone 6 and realised I cannot use my own music as ringtone, nor do I know how to send music files to friends through whatsapp,vibe or we chat which with an Android you can do so freely!

I tried clicking on your above link and it takes me nowhere? Wanted me to create a pin topic?

Can you please tell me how I load my music as a ringtone please 😕

Oct 12, 2014 4:12 AM in response to DigitalChickster

1. Open iTunes.
  2. Play the song from which you want to make your tone and note the start and stop times you want. The total time needs to be 30 seconds or less.
  3. Select the song and press command-I, or right-click the song (2-finger click if you are using the trackpad) and select Get Info.
  4. Select the Options tab and copy the Stop time to the clipboard or to another document. You will use this later to restore the original time to your song. Enter your chosen start and stop times for the tone and make sure they are clicked. Increase the Volume Adjustment if the song is not very loud (you may need to experiment with this). Click OK.
  5. Right-click the song again, or select it and click File (in the top menu) –> Create New Version –> Create AAC Version. The menu may only show an option to Create MP3 Version, or some other format. If so, click iTunes (in the menu at the top of the screen) –> Preferences –> General. Where it says When a CD is inserted, click Import Settings, then under Import Using: select AAC Encoder and iTunes Plus for the setting and click OK.
  6. After you create your new version it will appear as a duplicate track except the time will reflect your adjustment.
  7. If you want to change the title, do it now. I tried changing the title after deleting it from iTunes (the next two steps), but when I brought it back in to iTunes, iTunes used the title it had had before.
  8. Right-click the original song and restore the start and stop times to their original values. If you don’t, iTunes will only play the part you selected for the tone.
  9. Right-click the short track you just created and select Show in Finder. Move the file to a location outside of the iTunes folder, such as the desktop, or a folder for your homemade ringtones.
  10. Delete the track in iTunes.
  11. In the folder where you have moved it, select the file and click on it again (don’t double-click) so you can edit the filename. Change the extension from .m4a to .m4r (and confirm when asked). If you don’t see the extension, make sure you are in Finder. Click Finder –> Preferences –> Advanced and check Show All File Extensions. Do not simply add an extension if you don’t see the current one.
  12. In iTunes, click on File –> Add to Library (or press command-O) and find/select it there. Open your Tones library to see if it is there. If Tones is not an option in your Library selector button (upper left corner of the iTunes window), click iTunes –> Preferences –> General and check Tones in the Show selection.
  13. Connect your iPhone to your computer and click the iPhone button in iTunes. Click the Tones button in the banner menu and check Sync Tones. Click All Tones or click Selected Tones and make sure the ones you want are checked.
  14. Click on Apply at the bottom of the window to sync your phone.
  15. When the your has synced (or “sunc”?), open it and tap Settings –> Sounds –> Ringtone, and your new tone should be there. Tap it and listen to see if it starts the way you want and is the correct volume. If everything is fine you can treat it like any other ringtone. Text tones, mail tones, individual ring-tones, etc., all access the same menu of sounds.
  16. If you want to do it over, you can delete it from your phone the same way you would delete any song or tone. Go back to step 12, click Selected Tones, uncheck any tones you want to delete from your phone and click Apply to sync the phone again. Then delete that tone from iTunes on your computer.

Oct 24, 2014 10:44 PM in response to DigitalChickster

In case others are having this problem in iTunes 12... the easiest way is to erase all your personal ringtones from the iTunes library, but keep the files. Go to where the physical files are located and then change the extension of each file from .m4a to .m4r. You'll notice the little icon will change to an iTunes 12 icon. Then load your ringtones back into iTunes. Drag and drop the ones you want to your iPhone 6 and they will now appear as ringtones.

Good luck!!

Nov 20, 2014 8:37 AM in response to Thomas P Jr

YESTERDAY I BOUGHT TWO RINGTONES FRPM THE ITUNES STORE AND THEY WERE WORKING JUST FINE, BUT TODAY MY RINGTONES DISAPPEARED FROM MY IPHONE 6. I WENT TO THE ITUNES STORE AND SEARCH ON BOUGHT ITEMS BUT THESE RINGTONES DONT APPEARED ANYWHERE, EVEN THOUGH THEY DID CHARGE ME FOR THESE RINGTONES.

THESE IS THE SECOND TIME I DO THESE AND THE SAME THING HAPPENS, THE RINGTONES JUST APPEARED ONE DAY AND THE NEXT DAY THEY DISAPPEARED.

Nov 27, 2014 10:24 PM in response to marcelo1985

I had a similar problem. I purchased two ringtones and they worked just fine at first... Then I had to reboot my iPhone for something and the next thing I know, they are no longer available or visible. I scoured the internet and found a solution (finally) that worked for me... The key is to NOT download them directly to your iPhone. Rather, download them to your iTunes library first, then sync them to your iPhone...

1. In iTunes go to Store --> View Account (You'll be prompted for your password)

2. Scroll down to "Purchase History" click on "See All"

3. Click on the arrow next to the ringtone purchase (left side)

4. Click on Report a Problem - You will be taken to the problem report site for that purchase and you will be required to log in.

5. Select the tone you want to report the problem with and select "Song did not download..." (or whatever the problem report is similar to that).

6. Fill in the description and submit.

7. Repeat for any other purchased tones

After that you can go into iTunes and click on "Store" and click on "Check for downloads"

You'll now have them in your iTunes library and you can then sync them to your iPhone...

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Steve

Nov 29, 2014 11:53 AM in response to DigitalChickster

My iPhone 6 arrived yesterday evening, and I just finished updating all my data from iTunes today. Folks, getting your ringtones onto your iPhone from iTunes is not difficult. I see a few very complex answers offered, but I have a very simple, logical answer. Go to your iTunes, go to "tones," click on the tone you want on your device(s) and proceed to drag the tone. Your device(s) symbol should pop up on the left-hand side panel of iTunes. Just drag the song onto the icon of your device(s). Repeat for each tone. (I had only two tones to move, but I am sure you can move all tones at once, if you have several on your list.) That's it. No help center queries and no 8 part instruction set to follow. 😁

I hope this helps. Play around with iTunes, you will find it is not as difficult as you think. 😉

Nov 30, 2014 5:59 PM in response to DigitalChickster

IIf your ringtones are in your tone library on itunes but not all going onto your iphone when you sync here is an easy fix. Go into your music library, the button on the top of the page, over on the right side select songs. Go all the way to the end of you songs and you'll probably see all your ringtones. You have to uncheck all the ringtones. Now you can go back and sync your phone and all your tones will go on your phone. I had the same problem and I just did it with mine and it worked.

Can't get ringtones onto new iPhone 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.