Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4S - iOS 8 battery issues

Hey guys,

I must say that I'm really frustrated with iOS 8. I knew it would be slow on the 4S, and I happily accepted that drawback when updated, but what I did not know, is that it would drain my battery when I'm not doing anything I wasn't doing before!! Battery goes 50% faster!! Really frustrated.. am I doing something wrong?

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 10:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2014 8:19 AM

Hi there Drumrocker365,

You may find the information in the article below helpful.

Apple - Batteries - Maximizing Performance

-Griff W.

15 replies

Oct 1, 2014 3:06 AM in response to Drumrocker365

I have the same problem with my beloved iPhone 4s on which I installed iOS8. It use to last almost one day, not it doesn't last even 8 hours (mostly on standby): at lunchtime, I have to recharge it again.

No app background update, limited GPS location, no e-mail push, new battery just installed, etc... But if I cannot use these things on a smartphone, then I just go back to an old Nokia brick... Frustrated...

Does anybody knows if 8.1 or another update will possibly address this issue?

Oct 2, 2014 12:39 PM in response to mgitbxl

After installing iOs 8 I'm starting to hate my smartphone. With Ios 7 the battery lasted until the evening while now barely reaches mid-afternoon with the same use of the phone and being careful not to leave apps in the background. I'm afraid to use the smartphone to save battery power ... frustrating!!

I ask Apple to release as soon as possible an upgrade to fix all the problems with iphone 4s or enable us to return to IOS 7.

Dec 22, 2014 9:35 AM in response to Drumrocker365

I have the iPhone 4S -- come on! it's only 2 years old! -- and the running app I was using, LogYourRun, was brought to its knees after the IOS 8 upgrade, I scoured the internet for solutions. They all said just about the same thing -- try restoring your iPhone from backup, shutting off unnecessary Location Services, getting a new battery, upgrading to iPhone 6, putting the phone in Airplane Mode (um, that's not going to work if you want to receive phone calls or use an app that is dependent on GPS...), etc. The problem is that about a mile into my run -- regardless of how much battery juice I had when I started -- the phone died and trying to restart it showed only the momentary red battery graphic (i.e., you're toast). After returning home and plugging it into the charger, it would reboot and show 40-50% battery life remaining. I wrote to LogYourRun Support. I wrote to Apple Support. I trolled all the blogs and forums. I gave up waiting, and downloaded the MapMyRun app and the RunKeeper app and tried them out. Guess what? SAME EXACT PROBLEM. It's actually worse with MapMyRun because every 2 seconds they treat you with a new ad that you have to dismiss in order to see your split times. Well, after hours more of trolling the internet I stumbled across a post that identified an IOS 8 bug with Location Services and use of WiFi. Using WiFi does supposedly improve GPS tracking performance. Last night, I shut it off and did my normal 5K loop (all other Location Services except LogYourRun shut off as well), and, voila!, no battery drain at all. The route tracking, timekeeping, and all other functions worked as accurately as they had in the past.So, if you're not actually using WiFi, try shutting it off and see what happens to your battery life. Hopefully, Apple will fix the bug in the next update (I have the latest 8.1.2 version, but the problem started with the first IOS 8 upgrade -- it wasn't a problem under IOS 7).

Feb 22, 2015 3:36 PM in response to Drumrocker365

I just need to share my solution to a similar problem with my 4S in hopes that it may help someone with the same problem. It may not be what OP needs to solve his, but worked in my situation. I was banging my head against the wall in what seem to be TERRIBLE battery life with IOS 8 and my 4S. I tryed all of the usual suggestions with turning of notifications, background refresh, etc. No luck. I tried a new battery. No luck. In troubleshooting some more I realized my phone would not turn off. After turning it off, it would turn itself back on. I did some research and a lot of folks seemed to point to the dock connector. I switch out the dock connector, and my phone then did turn off. I then charged it to full and did a usage test and found it had maintained its full battery life with a long standby time and showed 0 usage. My phone now stays in the 90% with minimal use through the day. Before the dock connector replacement, my phone wouldn't make it through the night on a full charge in airplane mode. Thank God, I was really starting to get frustrated and lose my senses. I think it was a coincidence that happened to fall close to the IOS 8 update, but I was very quick to blame IOS8. Did not turn out to be the issue once I breathed a little and tryed a better troubleshshooting approach. Hope this might help someone searching with the same problem.

iPhone 4S - iOS 8 battery issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.