Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore iOS 6 iTunes backup to iPhone 6 with iOS 8

TLDR: When restoring an old backup to a new phone, does the backup have to be done from the same number version OS as the OS the new phone will be restoring said backup to?

I have a few staff whose various iPhone 6's just came in. I'm in a bit of a conundrum and can use some help.

Most of them are on iOS 7 with either iPhone 4S, 5 or 5S with varying backups to iTunes or iCloud. One person has the 5 with iOS 6 (didn't like the 7 interface) but is upgrading to the iPhone 6, obviously with iOS 8. He backs up to iTunes on his personal Mac. How would I go about restoring his old settings and data from old phone to new one? Does the old phone have to be updated from iOS 6 to iOS 8 first then get a iTunes backup and restore to the new one? Updating the old phone to anything newer than iOS 7 is a problem for all of them. They have "legacy" applications that haven't yet been updated to support iOS 8 so it's my preference to keep their old devices on the current version OS they're on so they can use them for the particular things not yet supported on iOS 8.

Thanks.

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 12:08 PM

3 replies

Restore iOS 6 iTunes backup to iPhone 6 with iOS 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.