Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Mouse battery drain since updating to 10.9.5

Since updating my iMac to 10.9.5 my Magic Mouse battery life has gone from over a month of use to less than a day. It's so bad I switched back to a USB based Mouse. Has anyone else experienced a rapid battery drain of their Magic Mouse since updating their iMac?

Ian

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 12:50 PM

6 replies

Sep 22, 2014 4:58 PM in response to iwolf2

Hello Ian, I know it sounds simplistic but you will have to check the battery situation. Here are a few notes I recently made. It is true that Mavericks needx more memory support but probably it's not much more of a drain on the mouse batteries.

Whether you use regular or rechargeable batteries you should buy the best. Discounted or unbranded batteries are more likely to give a depleted performance and may be of irregular size, often leading to connection problems. Apple’s own brand, Eneloop and Energiser appear to be the best.

Rechargeable batteries for the standard Magic mouse are unlikely to exceed eighteen days before needing a recharge although the mouse itself can be a limiting factor. I have seen reports that some Logitech mice vastly exceed this. Apple may suggest more in their sales blurb but this is a realistic expectation. The benefit (if you are organised) is that you can always have charged batteries available. Regular batteries will give you between 25 and 35 days before they need to be replaced. Note. Never mix old and new batteries or rechargeable and regular.

The notes above are based on my personal experience, not shutting down my machine and using it for around four hours per day. Note. Monitors do not always faithfully report battery strength, particularly the rechargeable ones.

When checking your mouse or keyboard batteries ... Turn off the device. Remove the batteries, Clean the terminals both inside the battery compartment and the batteries themselves. Replace or renew both batteries. Turn on the device. You should get a blinking green light if the device is paired. Click the mouse to activate it. The green light becomes steady.

Regards, 71

Oct 26, 2014 10:42 AM in response to iwolf2

Ian,

I'm afraid it has nothing to do with your batteries. I have the same problem since I have updated to OSX 10.9.5. 😢

Nowadays I have to change my rechargeable batteries every two days in comparison with the usual one time in the three weeks.

Nothing has changes in my configuration or apple use.

That is not nice as Apple promised a better battery management as of 10.8.x.

Hope this will be fixed quickly!

Regards, Hans

Oct 26, 2014 10:57 AM in response to Imac Hans

That is quite a positive statement and I am still not sure you are correct. Unfortunately, despite the time it takes to answer questions, the poster never came back to confirm what he/she has done so we cannot be sure whether the matter is resolved or not ... or even if he/she resolved it in another way. This is one of the problems with forums, I'm afraid.

Mar 28, 2015 10:31 PM in response to seventy one

I have two iMac 27" running the latest OS. My wife hates the sharp edges of the magic mouse but I like the touch surface. So I have two to test. For each of them, two Durucell double AAs last only about a week. This is wasteful and unacceptable so I have brand new Eveready rechargeables and a new recharger. In each of the mice these rechargeables last only about 12 hours. I put two brand new Eveready rechargeable AAs in at noon today at 89% and now, just after midnight, they are at 7%. UNACCEPTABLE!

So I plugged in my old Apple USB mouse and the frakin trackball won't scroll.

Unless someone has a viable option I'll have no other choice but to dump all my Apple mice and go to to a third party option like my wife did.

I appear to be one of many people with this problem. What the heck apple... it's a mouse! What's going on?

Magic Mouse battery drain since updating to 10.9.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.