Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes could not sync contacts (or calendar) to the iphone "____" because the sync server failed to sync the iphone

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read the post before replying... also please do not suggest fixes that have been described that i've tried)

itunes could not sync contacts / calendar to the iphone "---" because the sync server failed to sync the iphone

i have read just about every support entry to this so PLEASE don't respond unless you've read the scenario.

win8.1

itunes 11.4

iphone 4 (last of the os7.1.2) (os8 won't work on the 4)

outlook 2010 (up to date)

so until either thursday or friday, syncing via itunes has been great. then i start getting the error dialogue box. this is what i've done / tried:

changed the USB cable

reset sync history - (done all the various steps of reset / delete / restart / unplug etc.)

deleted backup

repaired all apple related programs in the control panel>programs and features

saved outlook contacts and calendar as a new .pst

created a new user

unchecked advance option in INFO in itunes (that whole scenario did nothing)

signed up with icloud and it worked BUT i LOATHE icloud (and all the hassles it presents) and the bottom line sync with itunes 'should' work.

i have checked all errors within contacts (none i only have 170)

uninstalled / reinstall of itunes

i have NOT done a restore of iphone. (last resort) and hoping that there would be a solution before going there.

so there you have it. any suggestions would be really appreciated.

iPhone 4, Windows 8, outlook 2010

iPhone 4, Windows 8, outlook 2010

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 12:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2014 5:08 PM

FINALLY - this fixed it.

be sure to restart WITHOUT the iphone attached to be able to rename (which re-creates a new SyncServices folder) the SyncServices folder...

Rename the SyncServices folder.

• Disconnect any iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
  • Restart the computer.
  • To rename the SyncServices folder:

Windows Vista and Windows 7 or Windows 8 : SyncServices is stored in a hidden folder named AppData. The location is \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\

Note: To quickly access the AppData folder, click Start, and then in the search bar type %appdata% and press the Return key.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2014 5:08 PM in response to jdubz

FINALLY - this fixed it.

be sure to restart WITHOUT the iphone attached to be able to rename (which re-creates a new SyncServices folder) the SyncServices folder...

Rename the SyncServices folder.

• Disconnect any iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
  • Restart the computer.
  • To rename the SyncServices folder:

Windows Vista and Windows 7 or Windows 8 : SyncServices is stored in a hidden folder named AppData. The location is \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\

Note: To quickly access the AppData folder, click Start, and then in the search bar type %appdata% and press the Return key.

May 21, 2015 12:08 AM in response to jdubz

This fixed my problem which was a little different. First I noticed that my my Outlook and Calendar items from Microsoft Office were not being updated to my iPhone. I removed and reinstalled iTunes. This didn't help. Then sometimes, but not always on a sync, I would get the "...sync server failed to sync the iphone" message. In all cases the sync didn't actually update my iPhone Contacts/Calendar. Which led my on a treasure hunt that ended when I found this post.

I rebooted my PC with the iPhone not connected, otherwise the folder SyncServices can not be modified. I changed the name to SyncServicesOLD, plugged in my iPhone and reentered the proper sync settings in iTunes to sync from Microsoft Office Outlook and Calendar.

The next sync properly updated my iPhone, problem solved.

Thanks to all that take the time to comment here, it saved me a ton of time.

itunes could not sync contacts (or calendar) to the iphone "____" because the sync server failed to sync the iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.