Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard Shortcuts iOS 8

So I upgraded to iOS 8 on my iPhone 5, and like others have reported, lost all my keyboard shortcuts. As some have found, I'm able to restore the shortcuts with a hard reset and clicking on Edit in General>Keyboard>Shortcuts. This works ONLY after completely shutting off the phone and rebooting.

That said, they disappear again a few minutes later while texting. They work for a bit, then WHAM they're gone, and I have to do the hard reset of the phone again.

Any advice?

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 2:43 PM

13 replies

Sep 24, 2014 11:02 AM in response to Digital Gee

Hello there, Digital Gee.

Apple just released an update for iOS 8 that resolves an issue such as you are describing:

iOS 8.0.1

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1758

iOS 8.0.1

This release contains improvements and bug fixes, including:

Addresses an issue where 3rd party keyboards could become deselected when a user enters their passcode.

The following article provides the steps for doing that:

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch iOS software

https://support.apple.com/kb/HT4623

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,
Pedro.

Sep 26, 2014 12:44 PM in response to pedro d

Pedro,

I am having the same problem as the others disappearing key board shortcuts; I reboot or sync and the key board shortcuts magically appear, then 10 minutes later they are gone!

I updated to iOS 8.0.2 last night, problem still exists... any ideas?

This is one of the features I use a hundred times a day, and it is a royal pain in the butt that it doesn't work. But what is even more infuriating is the total lack of acknowledgement that there is even a problem, or it is being worked on, and /or will be fixed.

From what I am reading on the forums and getting from Apple Support it looks like Apple believes either A.) This error does not exist or B.) some how the user is causing this error?

The irony of all of this is I told myself I would not buy and iPhone 6 until the bugs are worked out... little did I know iPhone 6 is not the problem... iOS 8 is!

iPhone 5, iOS 8.02, Verizon

Oct 2, 2014 7:58 AM in response to Alfred DeRose

Same problem here. I've been able to repeatedly restore the phone to get them back. But by the next morning, they're gone again. I tried the hard reset (as described above) but that didn't work either.

I use these all of the time as another mentioned. I would really like to see a fix for this quickly.

I will also, file a bug report as well.

Keyboard Shortcuts iOS 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.